New TV

reefraff

Decided to get a bigger TV for the family room, Actually I think it should be the dining room cause it's off the kitchen and not big enough to be a "real" family room but anyway.

Got a Samsung 46" LED LCD unit. I have a 54" Panasonic in the Living room. It's a G10 series plasma which is no slouch. This LED thing blows it out of the water. I have never been all that impressed by high def programing until now. WOW!

Congratulations on your new TV. We just bought a new 46 inch Sony bravia led TV. The pictures with led are awsome. Ours came with a blue ray player I couldn't believe how much better movies look.

deejeff442

i was reading that there is an overstock on tv's now and prices will be dropping even more.i still have my big screen projector.we dont watch eneough tv to care .but when i go to my friends and see the difference its amazing.i always wanted one of those projectors that mount on the ceiling.but i think they are around $5000 for a decent well congrats on the new tube.

flower

As with anything...as time passes and more people own them, they drop the prices so the stick in the muds like me will buy one. Plasma TVs were $5000.00 I got mine 2 years ago for $1200.00. Since they came up with 3D, things could go even cheaper...also new technology has bugs they need to work out, all good things come to those who wait...LOL

I now have a 47" Plasma that I enjoy watching. I have only heard of the 3D TVs, my brother bought one but I haven't been to his house yet.

It must be the brand...I had a 19" LCD and it wasn't anything great. However lots of folks say theirs is awesome..I had gotten mine at Wal-mart so that should tell you something.

I'm not sold on 3D yet I don't like the idea of having to wear glass's to watch TV. And the package with the extra glass's is 300 dollars.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313199
I'm not sold on 3D yet I don't like the idea of having to wear glass's to watch TV. And the package with the extra glass's is 300 dollars.

Who knows what it will cost in a year or two. My brother is rich, he can afford the glasses for his family of 4 and some extra in case he has visitors..Must be nice...LOL

My boss bought a player and got those movies , the size of a 33 record, just before thy came out with DVDs...each movie costed him $50.00..way back when, then they disappeared, so sometimes it just doesn't pay to run out and get the newest thing.

reefraff

The deal I got was the Plasma with a Tivo Premier, 1086 for the TV and 265 for the Tivo with 200.00 off of the total price so 1151 for the pair. I needed another cable box which comcast wanted 9 bux a month for. This way I get it for 1.50 a month for the cablecard the unit uses plus the 65 I ended up paying for the Tivo box. I already have DVR service on 2 other TV's so the Tivo is just getting used as a decoder for the most part. I just hope it will do what I want it to without having to pay for their service which I think sucks. It's constantly recording crap I have no desire to watch so we will see what happens once the 7 day trial expires.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313202

Who knows what it will cost in a year or two. My brother is rich, he can afford the glasses for his family of 4 and some extra in case he has visitors..Must be nice...LOL

My boss bought a player and got those movies , the size of a 33 record, just before thy came out with DVDs...each movie costed him $50.00..way back when, then they disappeared, so sometimes it just doesn't pay to run out and get the newest thing.

I had a shot at buying one of those laser disk players back in the 90's for 300 bucks, it came with over 300 movies. The guy at the pawn shop said it was less than a penny on the dollar what the stuff cost new. I was worried about what I'd do if the player ever died. Not easy to find them.

As far as 3D goes there isn't a way to do it without special glasses right now. A couple companies are trying it but what I've heard is you get a trade off of picture clarity for no glasses. I have a lazy eye so trying to use special glasses to see 3D wont work with me. I watch too damn much TV as it is anyway.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313206
The deal I got was the Plasma with a Tivo Premier, 1086 for the TV and 265 for the Tivo with 200.00 off of the total price so 1151 for the pair. I needed another cable box which comcast wanted 9 bux a month for. This way I get it for 1.50 a month for the cablecard the unit uses plus the 65 I ended up paying for the Tivo box. I already have DVR service on 2 other TV's so the Tivo is just getting used as a decoder for the most part. I just hope it will do what I want it to without having to pay for their service which I think sucks. It's constantly recording crap I have no desire to watch so we will see what happens once the 7 day trial expires.

I know what you mean...when I first got my Plasma TV ...I was told I needed certain cables, which I purchased...still no good picture so they say you need to upgrade, and it has 2 TVs it can connect to because I had a duel box...well my mom came to live with me and I talked her into getting a HD TV for her room. WELLLL turns out only 1 output is HD the other was just for regular TV...so I had to rent another box for her room, because she let go the regular TV and got the HD..
Live and learn. It would have been nice if they had explained that to me. It was new thing back then, and they didn't think to mention it, I suppose they may have figured ...who could afford two HD TVs

reefraff

A friend of mine spent 1500.00 for his speaker wires and his name isn't even Forest :) He spent a bunch on his HDMI cables too. Good speaker wires so indeed make a difference but with HDMI or any other digital signal they either work or don't, it doesn't matter if you pay 10.00 or a thousand. He still claims the picture looks better with the better cables. I think a lot of this is perception more than reality. I really didn't bother seeking out the HD channels with the plasma cause it didn't look that much better. With the LED TV I will.

Comcast has went to all digital here and you have to have a HD tv for the new cable box because the connection from box to tv is a hdmi cord. They give you up to two small box's free for other rooms but you don't get all the channels. If you want all the channels the box's are $15 each a month.

flower

Was his name Brad? LOL..That's my boss, he does stuff like that. Hey I figure he paid for the best so SHHH, lets not pop the bubble.

Remember, we here at SWF are still here so don't go getting too lost in the new TV...it sounds wonderful

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313218
Comcast has went to all digital here and you have to have a HD tv for the new cable box because the connection from box to tv is a hdmi cord. They give you up to two small box's free for other rooms but you don't get all the channels. If you want all the channels the box's are $15 each a month.
That's why I got the Tivo. Those little boxes SUCK!!!

Yeah my son has one in his room. When he wants to watch something he can't get he comes in the living room. I wondered if you could use Tivo with Comcast or if they had it so you had to have there box's. How hard is it to set up the Tivo?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313229
Yeah my son has one in his room. When he wants to watch something he can't get he comes in the living room. I wondered if you could use Tivo with Comcast or if they had it so you had to have there box's. How hard is it to set up the Tivo?
I didn't buy the Tivo service but their is a 7 day trial, once it's over I'll know more about what it can and can't do with just comcast's service. I really don't like the fact that it records crap on it's own and I am not sure what I can do to stop that. It does have some interesting features if you hook it to the net. Internet radio, on demand from a few places like netflix etc but I was really just looking for another box.

Set up was easy but the cable company has to put the card in. When I ordered it the woman said if I added the service coverage at 1.40 a month they would have the 40.00 service charge to install the care AND I ONLY HAD TO WAIT TWO MONTHS BEFORE I CANCELED IT. Love it when a customer service rep is honest

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313189
i was reading that there is an overstock on tv's now and prices will be dropping even more.i still have my big screen projector.we dont watch eneough tv to care .but when i go to my friends and see the difference its amazing.i always wanted one of those projectors that mount on the ceiling.but i think they are around $5000 for a decent well congrats on the new tube.
5k for a projector? you can get a pretty good one for under 1 k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313217
A friend of mine spent 1500.00 for his speaker wires and his name isn't even Forest :) He spent a bunch on his HDMI cables too. Good speaker wires so indeed make a difference but with HDMI or any other digital signal they either work or don't, it doesn't matter if you pay 10.00 or a thousand. He still claims the picture looks better with the better cables. I think a lot of this is perception more than reality. I really didn't bother seeking out the HD channels with the plasma cause it didn't look that much better. With the LED TV I will.
There are some differences, but you and I will never own something where you'll need a 1500 dollar speaker wire. Kind of like souping up a car. IF you're needing to milk every ounce of speed out of a car, you'll be willing to drop the money on some minor stuff, that done by itself won't make any difference... But would coupled with all the other upgrades you can do to your car.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/380612/new-tv#post_3313539
5k for a projector? you can get a pretty good one for under 1 k.

There are some differences, but you and I will never own something where you'll need a 1500 dollar speaker wire. Kind of like souping up a car. IF you're needing to milk every ounce of speed out of a car, you'll be willing to drop the money on some minor stuff, that done by itself won't make any difference... But would coupled with all the other upgrades you can do to your car.

This guy dropped 15 grand on the speakers so I guess 1500.00 wires aren't that outragous.