new upgrade on lights, I have a few questions

azocean709

I recently bought a MH set up from a guy on here...<THANKS TONY>>>>WORKING GREAT!> It is 2 175w mogal base, I got them all in the newly built _hang from the ceiling canopy_ and have them hanging about 1 1/2 ft over the water. Now he told me the bulbs still have a little life left in them, but was wandering if i can use this to my advantage with aclimating my tank to the lights?
The lights i had before were 110w 10,000k VHO's, and 2 80 w. actinics, I had most of my corals at the top of the tank cause it just wasnt enough light for them at the bottom or middle.<tank is 20 inches deep> should I move all these down now so they don't get burned up? ? or slowly move them all later on. they are Mushrooms, a green leather, brown zoos,yellow polyp colony, xenias and yellow gargonian I started the lights on a timer to stay on for 5 hrs. Is this too much, too little? My other set up stayed on for 9 hrs a day, Ive also got my actinics on a seperate timer to come on 2 hours before the MH, and 2 hours after. any advice would be great. thanks.

reefnut

Moving them down isn't a bad idea... the age of the bulbs may help but (depending on the age of the old bulbs) you may need to re-acclimate them to an extent after getting new bulbs. Do you plan to leave the canopy 18" above the water??
Most important is not running them to long to quick. Starting with 5hrs a day IMO is a little much at first but just make sure you increase the timing slowly. If anything starts to look stressed move it lower in the tank.

azocean709

i plan to lower it over the tank. with it all the way down the bulb will be 8 inches or so above the water. i bumped timer down another hour for 4 hours , haha...and deffinatly want a chiller now! wow them get hot! I mounted a small <8"> fan blowing. seems to be woking on getting the temp back down.
the shrooms i am deffinatly going to move here shortly, That green leather was under these same size lights at the LFS, and i bought it, only 2 weeks ago, it should be ok i would think. I will keep checkin. thanks Reefnut. Id hate to fry my little corals.! that would suck.