NEW used tank.

engineer

Ok, question for whoever! I just got a 120 for FREE
, the guy has had it torn down for about a month and has tons of calcium (dead coraline) all over, how do you clean it? Also he just threw his live rock outside. Is it still ok, what do I need to do to make it ok.

cgrant

my brother borrowed my 55 when it was in storage and put it away without cleaning it, had algae all over, cleaned with razor blade (one sided kind), just be careful, stay away from the silicon and dont scratch the tank.
You dont want to use rocks that have been outside, if they had some type of pesticide or weed killer sprayed on them that would get ugly :scared:
120 for free gets a

engineer

About how much would the 120 weigh full of water. I will figure out the live rock and sand later. Just want to make sure it isnt gonna fall through the floor. Got a new house 3yrs old, but dont know what the floor will hold.

turningtim

SW is about 8.2 (?) lbs per gallon. If you're placing it on a floor joist structure, place it perpendicular to the floor joists. Also try and put it near an exteior wall or a bearing wall....
White vingar and water solution will do wonders in helping clean the tank up....
HTH
JMO
Tim

reefdude37

Originally Posted by engineer
If I use vinegar to clean it wont it leave some chemical residue?
no just wash it off with water after cleaning it with vinegar

robchuck

A little bit of vinegar residue won't hurt anything. In fact, some people even dose vinegar in their tanks to bring the pH down.
When I cleaned my 300g up last year, I used a 10:1 solution of water to distilled white vinegar. I rinsed it once, wiped it down good and hard, and everything turned out fabulous...the tank looked brand new!

engineer

First off to all who read this that is a mother, Happy Mothers DAY!!! Second getting down to the real business. I got 90% of the tank clean, yet another question. Will the left over calcium retain some of the vinegar since it is so porous? Also is it imperative(and how) do you clean the calcium and junk between overflow boxes?