New user looking to setup first salt water Aquarium

4lc4pon3

ive been interested in Salt Water Aquariums for sometime but never really put alot of thought into it until about a month ago.
Ive always had this Idea of doing the Finding Nemo Theme. Im not sure where to start with a setup. What will I need to get this tank started.
I puchased this off my G/F because at one point she had fresh water fish in the tank and decided to give the fish away to her friend because she had no time for it. So i need to make use for this Setup.

I do know it takes time, money and learning so i do not plan on doing anything until I have some knowledge First.

beaslbob

I recommend you add macro algaes in a refugium as part of the initial setup. Macro algaes are algaes the look like plants. They balance out and stabilize the tanks.
I highly recommend you not do the finding nemo theme. The fish in the tank at the dentist's off are not compatible.
my .02

hawkfishman

how big is it? that determines alot of what u will need. from what i hear on hear and my LFS, u should have at LEAST a pound per gallon of live rock and around the same of live sand. hopefully i helped a bit :)

4lc4pon3

oh my fault i thought i added that in my initial Post. The tank i have now is 55 Gallons. what i meant by the finding Nemo theme was not to do ALL the fish but atleast some of the fish that are compatible. If any.
what i was thinking was 2 seahorses, 2 clown fish, cleaner shrimp and a starfish unless you guys have other idea's. First thing is first is my setup.

The seahorses need a species only tank so scratch that. Two clownfish are a great idea and the cleaner shrimp are good. Starfish can be tough and some are not compatible.
First things first we need to figure out is filteration. I highly recomend getting an overflow box or drilling the tank, this will have water drain down into a sump which would be ideal. Here you can have a refugium with macro algae as bob said and a skimmer.
You will need some powerheads for water flow.
Then we need to figure out lights. Do you want fish only or would you like a reef with corals and stuff?
You will want prolly atleast one pound of rock per gallon. I would say buy 80 percant base rock and a few pieces of live rock to seed the rest, this will also save money.
If it was me I would only do enough sand for looks, I don't think you need a deep sand bed.
These are some thoughts to start.

4lc4pon3

id like to add in some other things to it not just fish. reef with corals. Any specific site or brand i should be looking at for the items you listed above, sump pumps, powerheads

4lc4pon3

its a bit concerning now for my friends Tank because We went to this Reputable Salt water Aquarium Shop because he wanted to get a nice salt water setup. Live rock n such with Fish.
The Company came to his home and set everthing up for him but your meantioning that seahorses should be species only and some species of starfish wont do. they set his tank up with 2 clowns, 1 starfish, 2 seahorses, Shrimp, damsel and a few other species of fish.
Thanks for the tip on the seahorses.

That fish store is selling anything possible to your friend having no regard for the animals. Also I would not add damsels, very aggresive in most cases.
Did they set this up and stock it all in one day? The tank needs to cycle and that many fish should be added over a period of time.
Well some starfish are not reef safe and a few can get fish, but there are many suitable ones.
Since you want a reef lighting is going to be prolly your biggest purchase. Do some reading on metal halides and T5 lighting. If it were me I would do a 6 bulb t5 setup.
Also are you planning a RODI unit? This IMO is a must.

J

jstdv8

seahorses alway need their own tank and some other specialty items. Keeping horses is practically an art. That LFS guy should be shot. If he's in the bussiness he knows better.
There are other less notorious fish in finding nemo that might work.
Like Bubbles, the yellow tang, If the tank is a 90 you may be ok, if its a 55 not enough room. I don't remember his name but there is a royal gramma in the tank, he would be a good addition to nemo and marlin :)
and jauque the cleaner shrimp is a super idea.
Dory is to large a fish unless you plan on a 6' tank in the very near future.
The puffer fish, don't recall his name, is not compatible.
And gill is a deffinate no no as moorish idols are extremely hard to keep in captivity.

4lc4pon3

yeah his Damsel Died and to be honest im not sure if the tank was cycled or Not. hes only had it a month and so far hes got 7 or 8 Fish wich seems like alot for so little time. I dont plan like he does i always go on Forums and ask because I know these so called Stores sell just for the money and not any concern for the Fish.
here is the thing. I dont want to Drill out my Tank and im pretty new to all of this with very very limited knowledge. I have been reading alot lately about setups and what is needed. if you want to Provide links that would help since i dont know what brands to look at or even sites to go to.
Basicly if you provide a link to some of the items i need for a 55 gallon setup ill just buy them then ill have to read and learn how to hook everything up :)

4lc4pon3

I just sent my buddy the forums link so he can come here on his own since he is now Concerned about his SeaHorses. hes a good guy so i know he will get those Horses their own setup.
Thanks for the tip. im going to head to bed now ill be back on in the morning to start gettings things together and Purchased

Originally Posted by aolujumu
http:///forum/post/3234731
Hi i am Emmanuel,
I am new here and i hope the information
I get here really helps me....
Nice to meet you. Are you his friend that the LFS set your tank up? You should start a thread so we can get you on the right track.

Originally Posted by 4lc4pon3
http:///forum/post/3234708
I just sent my buddy the forums link so he can come here on his own since he is now Concerned about his SeaHorses. hes a good guy so i know he will get those Horses their own setup.
Thanks for the tip. im going to head to bed now ill be back on in the morning to start gettings things together and Purchased
Ok I would start with the sump. I would find one with a spot for a refugium. Get as big as your stand will fit here. A 30 gallon would be nice.
Next an overflow box to get the water down there. You can find them on glass cages and find one that matches your tank size. Then you can find a sump pump based on how many GPH your overflow is rated for.
Protein skimmer IMO is very important esp. for someone new. They way overrate these things so if you can afford it I would get one rated for 100 gallons. You will have to search some good brands, ASM I like but that is about all I can say.

4lc4pon3

Thanks for the Tips. I do not know Emmanuel at all. Anyways i odnt live near my friend so the place he goes to is pretty far from me. I did some reasearch and I found a place 20 minutes from me that has been in business for about 30+ years. I went and checked them out and I must say i got alot of info and help.
Is there any Specific website I should be looking at to get these products? if you have a site I will go check it out and get some things ordered. Money really isnt that big of an object. Also if i decide against Reef with Coral what type of lighting should i be looking at. I found a Local place that does nothing but sell every type of Live rock period. I havent checked their store yet.

mony97

This forum doesnt really allow links for making purchases but I can help with what you will initially need and some good brands..
1. 55+lbs of Live Rock (LR) - This will help with natural filtration
2. 40+lbs of Live Sand (LS) - This will also help with natural filtration
3. Some sort of sump / wet dry / or canister filter for the main filtration google any of these or search this site for the differences and what people seem to like. I would reccomend a sump set up with a good protien skimmer some macro algaes and then your return pump.
4. Power heads for flow - these will help with many things including O2 levels and the health of you potential corals. Some good brands are Koralia and Vortech.
5. Heater - self explanitory
6. A good book - I have recieved many suggestions for "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and have since bought it, amazing book and will break everything down for you and make suggestions on what to aviod and what to look for when your ready to buy your livestock.
Good luck with everything, I hope it works out well for you! Be sure to keep asking questions and be ready to be extremely patient.

J

jstdv8

I may be wrong, But I think some people use their sump as a tank for seahorses. Im not a seahorse expert but it maybe something to look into.
Seahorses are not easy to keep, so that would be best for down the road once your tank is mature and you have a better understanding of what's going on in your tank and what it takes to have a healthy setup.

kacey

If the tank you're using used to be freshwater, check with its former owner to make sure it has never been dosed with copper. Copper is sometimes used to treat fish illnesses, but is lethal to corals and liverock. If copper was ever used, the silicon sealant of the tank will have absorbed it and it will be released back out into the water. It wouldn't really be an appropriate tank to use for a saltwater setup unless the only thing you wanted to put in there was fish.
Re: seahorses in the sump, from what I understand, a lot of seahorses need a weaker water flow than is appropriate for a marine tank. Most also require lower temperatures and some even prefer a slightly different salinity. For these reasons, keeping one in the sump may still be asking for trouble, I'm not sure.

geckoxp

Yes most important ask the former owner if the tank was treated with copper at all.
I think what is going on with this post is over information from everyone. Its great but too much info at one time is going to make anyones head explode.
1. Ask yourself if your willing to spend some $$$$. There is a huge difference price wise from a Fish only tank with artificial corals to a live rock setup with bright lights. This will save you a ton of problems right off the bat. With a Fish only setup you do not need the live rock, however sand is a nice touch (and the sand doesn't have to be live either) along with some atrificial or bleached corals that you can get from your LFS. A sump and skimmer would also be of a benifit to you here with a simple overflow from the back would do.
2. If you decide that a coral setup is the way to go you will need to upgrade your lights, purchase live rock, learn about both corals AND fish and what can work with what, and get additional calcium and other additives such as different salt then what the fish only setup would be.
Bottom line start there and then from that idea you can find your own path with everyones help in setting it up. My 2 cents would be to start up a fish only tank first because of being new to the hobby and then maybe move into a coral setup. Its not as hard as it is and your pocket book won't get killed doing it..but do what makes you happy and what you can afford!!
Hope this helps....