New with Corals .... Need Advice

phoenixinx

Well, I have never done reef - nor corals.
So bear with me, and PLEASE give any advice.
I pulled all my "non-reef fish out" traded them in. Added another large powerhead to get more "waves". Added two more 40w full-spectrum... My tank SHOULD be set now.
I added two soft corals, sorry I have NO CLUE what they are called. :( The LFS is VERY knowledgable and helped me pick out two that were good "Starters".
One is looking well, very well actually... his falangies (for a lack of a better term) would come out - when a fish came over they'd shoot back in. Then come back out. Still this morning, they aren't where they were in the fish store. Though I'm sure that's part of him aclimating to the new tank.
The other though is not looking as well... his "trunk" looks as though he is almost wilting. Started to sag, etc. Any clue what is going on?

j-cal

sounds like u have some leathers. What lighting are u runnign total? I have a feelign that they arent getting enough maybe.

phoenixinx

Each of my new ballasts are 40w, so 80 there. Then whatever my old hoods were, I know I'm over 100w total for the tank.
Maybe the Coral is too deep? He's about halfway down...

j-cal

put him near the top. both actually. Personally I would keep leathers under NO id try to take em back and trade for mushrooms. They are hardier and do fine under typical NO

shmeeb

That's pretty low wattage for a 120. The advice I was given for the easy stuff is to run about 4 watts per gallon.

phoenixinx

Totally puzzles now. This LFS is well known for their expertise, more so I only work with the manager who has been into reefs since they became popular in the homes years ago.
He assured me this was enough light, which confirmed what the other LFS had told me.
I'll head home during my lunch and move them to the top of the tank. Hopefully this should help.
Any other suggestions? Is the "wilting" indicated low light?

mebigloser

I work for a LSF, and I am amazed at what garbage advice is given to newcomers. Please do a search on lighting on this board, it will explain the requirments needed. This board has tons of great advice
Good luck.

reefnut

Another opinion for more light!! There are some corals that will do ok under very low lighting but your selections are greatly limited.

jonthefb

rgr the vote for more light!~ you could get away with mushrooms and button polyps under your current light setup, hoever leathers and lps are going to need mroe light.....the thing that most people dont realize is that these corals are photosynthetic, and some get almost 80 percent of their energy by converting light into simple sugars! by giving them poor lighting conditions the organisms are going to focus soo much on reaching for light that they often wont grow and the extremem is that they stress out and die....dont skimp on lighting...look into a nice PC fixture, whcih would be great for sofites and most lps.....the types of corals you want to keep will dictate the type of lights you need...if you want to keep clams, acros and other sps corals which typically inhabit the very surface of a reef your gonna need halides...for mid level organisms such as leathers/lps pc's or vhos will be fine, and for low light corals NO light is ok, but these types of croals are going to need regular heavy feeding!
dont mean to sound like a downer, but i cant stress how important light is in a reef tank!
good luck
jon

phoenixinx

All -
Thanks for the opinions. I TOTALLY understand how corals live via photosynthesis. Puzzles me that my LFS was wrong, when they have been 100% right the rest of the time.
Let me look into some other lighting solutions.
Thanks

phoenixinx

Came home during lunch, my fiance whom was home sick said my umbrella had fallen off the rock.
Needless to say, I think I jumped the gun. My other coral looks great! Prolly still in shock from the move.
Here are pics!