New with Live coral and anemones

harmon

I am new with live rock and anemones and corals, I have two pink tipped Haitian Anemones, and a Xenia Coral. The anemones coral were very vibrant yesterday when they were firsy put into the tank and I was very precise with the acclimation, now the anemones are withered and lying flat and thetentacles seem to have folded under so that they are closing in around the foot and theres the mouth is covered with and orangy yellowish substance, the coral shrunk which I was told could happen, but the trunk has gotten very dark and its starting to have a withered look as well. Am I doing someting wrong? How can I make them better?

mudplayerx

What are your water parameters? How long has your tank been set up? Also, it might be normal bahavior as you have just put the corals and anemones into the tank. Sometimes it takes them a few days to open up, and even then they may wither from time to time.

harmon

I have a 55 gallon tank. Half of the tank is from the smaller salt tank, I transferred everything over to the 55 gallon. I just did tests on the chemicals and the Nitrite is .2, Nitrate is .10, the ph is 8.3, and the ammonia is .4. Does that help at all? :confused:

mudplayerx

Those readings are pretty bad unfortunately. The corals aren't likely to tolerate any ammonia at all, and the nitrite is definately a concern as well. It sounds like your tank is still cycling... in which case I would return the corals for a credit.

harmon

Is there any way I can save them? My husband got them from this website and its too late to send them back. Do you recommend anything products to fix the levels? I just put somewthing in the water to lower the ammonia. I'm new with a real reef system so any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm going to go to the store to buy something tonite if it means I can save these creatures.

mudplayerx

I'm pretty sure that your tank is cycling, which generally takes roughly 30 days to complete from when you started the tank. Ammonia is like poison to corals, and a reading of .4 is pretty high.
You can try going and buying some ammonia ionizer resin like ammocarb. There may be some resins that absorb nitrite and nitrate as well, but I'm not sure. This is a very frail hope though as if the tank is clycling, you are depriving the beneficial bacteria of the chemicals they need to flourish by using the resins..... thus only staving your problem away, but not eliminating the source.
I REALLY hate to be the bearer of foul news, but I think your corals are probably going to die in an uncycled tank :(

harmon

Thankyou so much for your help. I'm going to head over to a pet store to see if anything is available. What would ideal levels be so I can be ontop of them? :thinking:

mudplayerx

Ammonia should always read zero. Nitrite should ideally be zero. Nitrates need to stay under .1 or 10, depending on what measurement system you are using. Phosphates should be zero.
Do you have a friend that has a saltwater tank that wouldn't mind holding your critters until the tank is cycled? That would really be the best idea. I really wouldn't spend a bundle on a bunch of resins at the store if money is an issue with your household. The ammonia ionizer doesn't even actually remove the ammonia, it just makes it less poisonous.... and corals/anemones are so very sensitive to bad water conditions that I don't think the resins will even save the day.
I welcome anybody elses opinions please. My firm opinion (and I hate telling you this) is that your inverts are going to die if they stay in that uncylced tank

harmon

I'm not concerned with money, I went to a pet store and spoke with someone who has a reef tank and anemones and she told me that the best bet to give them a chance at all was to do a water change every 2-3 days only 5 gallons at a time and that would be the safest way to bring down the nitrates, adding chemicals would do more damage then good.
She said it could be that they are stressed and need a couple of days to adjust. She also said that Anemones sometimes turn themselves inside out when they are eating???? Unfortunately I am the only one with a salt water tank. Everyone else has fresh. I'm the only brave one. What do you think about the info she gave?
:thinking:

harmon

yes I did, she told me that I shouldnt really add chemicals too much because it may do good for one but not the rest. The best bet was to do the water change a few times.

who dey

i would use the ammonia detoxifier and don't change the water until your cycle is complete and your parameters are stable. good luck

sik72

i agree with Mud. i would let someone or LFS to hold your livestock until your tank is fully cycled. Especially amemonie they are really sensitive. they may survive since you use some water from your old saltwater tank ( i am assuming the water was already cycled). But half of the cycled water shouldn't do good enough and rest are new to the tank.
To keep saltwater tank, never rush and be patient other wise you will lose alot of money and lives..... In my opinion when the tank is fully ready i do smell the water like real ocean.....

sw65galma

YOu can try what is called a Poly pad or Chemi pad, They will usually absorb amonia and nitrite, nitrate...That way your not putting stuff into the tank, you are removing it..

harmon

Thankyou so much, I will look for it. My other anemone seems to be holding strong. The other one is fighting but it doesnt look so good. How can I tell if its dead?

mudplayerx

LFS stands for local fish store. You can tell if an anemone is dead if it statrs disintegrating, at which point you should carefully remove it asap.