New

literati08

Hello everybody
can anybody give me suggestions for my 40g tank.
oceanic 40g hex stretch
live sand
rock is not live
cascade 700 canister filter
emperor bio-wheel
prizm skimmer
2 power heads
here is the pic
thanks

reefnut

Hello literati08, WELCOME TO SWF.COM!!!!. :)
Looks like a very nice start. What type of suggestions are you looking for??

J

jfdjason

Is this going to be Fish Only or what.....If you going for Reef then I would start with some better lighting.

cowfishrule

yo lit
i have the same tank, only in mahogany
the tank rawks, but only crappy part is that they dont make a canopy for it, and im not about to play bob vila

snipe

Yes get a piece of live rock to spread the algea and the bacteria. also may I suggest trying to hide your heater behind your powerhead. I also had mine laying sideways and it stuck out like a soar thumb so I placed it behind my powerheads and now it looks way better.

farslayer

I'm a huge advocate of UV sterilizers after having lost everything to ich once. Since the installation of my UV I have never had a single outbreak of anything in over 5 years. Just do not run the UV light all of the time, maybe on a few hours a day. But, go ahead and let the power head keep blowing water through the sterilizer. That way you get water movement, you just don't sterilizer the water all day. Works great for me, I would figure a 4W UV would work great for you.

cowfishrule

if you are going to run a uv, match it up with the output of your cannister filter.
so, the output of your filter is detoured through your uv, then out of the uv into the tank
with my fluval 304, i would have needed an 18w uv