Newb Question

sammyjoe

Okay when describing some fish or invertbrates they say this specific item requires strong lighting.Does that mean high watt bulbs in the fish tank or does it mean needs light like say 12-14 hours? Someone please explain what strong lighting means when it comes to our animals in our tanks. Thanks

lecithin

yeppie, high intensity, long durations. As for wattage, typically more intense lights have higher wattages although T5s aren't as high wattage you have 5-6 of them in the place of 1-2 MHs. So yeah, more intensity!
Tell us what you want to host and your tank size and we should be able to help.

sammyjoe

Well I was looking at anemones. A long tentacle anemone to be exact and it says on the description- strong lighting.

shrimpi

anemones: most likely Metal halide, or a T5 at least. possibly supplement with some PCs(usually people do this for the actinic).
as far as the hours? my lights go on at sun up and off at sunset- just like it would out side.. I dont know how many hours it is, lol.
I think at least good 10-12hrs of light and you are all good. of course it would be nice to incorporate a nice 24 hr cycle by start/ending that light with some actinic to provide the dawn/dusk effect.
good luck
Jess

lecithin

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
I think at least good 10-12hrs of light and you are all good. of course it would be nice to incorporate a nice 24 hr cycle by start/ending that light with some actinic to provide the dawn/dusk effect.
Good idea, I do this w/my Nova Extreme pro 6 bulb, the fish enjoy it much more then when my old fixture would just jump on. I swear the fish had heart attacks every time.