Newbe question?

fuegofish

Hey guys, ive been a fan of saltwater tanks for years but never got a chance to build one myself. well now i think im ready! i need a little advice as far as a starter tank. i was looking at something like a 38 gallon. what can a put in it and what shouldnt i put in it. i love lionfish, is this a good start for a lion or should start with a bigger tank knowing it will need one at a later date. how about tangs or triggers. Or should i just start with some clowns and a nice reef set up! Any help will be great! thanks for reading!

lesleybird

Start with as big of a tank as you can. While a 38 gallon may be considered medium to large for a freshwater tank, it is tiny for a saltwater tank. If you research tank size for different saltwater fish you will see that most need at least a ninety gallon with many needing a 180 gallon tank. Start with a list of the fish you want and then see what size tank they need. In saltwater tanks one can only keep less than half as many fish per gallon as with freshwater (about 1 inch of fish per three to four gallons of water), and it is really difficult to get fish that will get along as they have larger territories in the wild.
I started out 6 years ago with a 25 gallon that was replaced by a 45 that was replaced by a 90 that was replaced by a 180 gallon. For the amount of money I spent on the smaller tanks that was wasted as each was kept less than a year, I should have started out with a 90 or 120 gallon in the beginning. When I developed a love for large angelfish I got the 180. Don't think I will go bigger than this although it seemed enormous in the beginning it really isn't that big. Lesley

mcbdz

If you are a little scared about it, you can start with the 55g. You could do lots of the smaller fish and corals and the money is a little more managable. You would only be able to keep about 6-8 fish of small to med. Like clowns, gobies and blennies. If you really want to start with the tangs and triggers you will need no smaller than a 125g, 6ft long tank.
I started with my 55g and will always keep it up, but it is done with stocking fish. I also have a hex, 25 gal for seahorses which I will up grade to at least a 30 tall. I also have my 240gal that is waiting for the wiring to be done. So just plan on either up grading to a larger tank, or if you have room just keep adding new ones like the rest of us.

fuegofish

Thanks for the reply guys! i guess i need to look into getting a bigger tank! Now with a bigger tank type of fish can i keep in there. i know a lot of fish dont get along with each other so which are good fits. Like i really like tangs and triggers but they dont get along right? and if i go with tangs and/or triggers i cant dont any clowns which i really like too right? The other fish that im really really into is lionfish, and they have to be with bigger fish or none at all. they also need a bigger size tank. I dont know maybe i should just start with a 55g and do like a group of clowns or something.
Anyway thanks for the relpies and advice again guys!!

mcbdz

How about going to the top of this thread and going through the threads with lots of info for hobbyist? It will give you more info then a lot of people on here started with.
Also a couple of really good books to read even before setting up(because you will understand more about the systems) are,"The Consinious Aquariumsist", by Robert Fenner and "Marine Fishes", by Scott W. Michaels. They are really good quick refers even after you think you've been in the hobby and know things.LOL

You can have a very large tank(most likely 180g+ with triggers, tangs wrasses, lion. Or you could do a 125g with a couple tangs trigger clown,Etc.
Now each fish does have it's own issue you need to know. This is why everyone on here will tell you to research each fish before you by it.
Like clown , you can only have single or in pairs ro they will fight. Tangs you don't want to mix body or colr types. Triggers will eat your inverts. Lions will eat what they can fit in their mouths. Etc. Just decide what you want it to be then work around that.
We will be here to assist.

sepulatian

Another thing to think about is space in your home and your budget. This hobby gets expensive real quickly. A 55 is a good starter size, but if you can afford something larger then that will give you more options.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by FuegoFish
Thanks for the reply guys! i guess i need to look into getting a bigger tank! Now with a bigger tank type of fish can i keep in there. i know a lot of fish dont get along with each other so which are good fits. Like i really like tangs and triggers but they dont get along right? and if i go with tangs and/or triggers i cant dont any clowns which i really like too right? The other fish that im really really into is lionfish, and they have to be with bigger fish or none at all. they also need a bigger size tank. I dont know maybe i should just start with a 55g and do like a group of clowns or something.
Anyway thanks for the relpies and advice again guys!!

lol, yeah if those are what you want, you need to go bigger. If your thinking about a fowlr tank, with triggers or tangs then 180 give you alot of flexibility as far as fish, and it isn't too enormous.

fuegofish

Thanks again guys for the help! I think i'll go with a 55 gal to start. My fav are loinfish so ill try to strat with that. You guys think thats a smart bet? As far as what i can put in the tank with him, is real hard right, just because the fish need to be bigger or just as big as the loinfish and the it will only be a 55 gal.
So im guessing a loinfish and some nice sand....... LOL
WELL we all gotta start somewhere. Plus that is my fav fish so i'll be happy!! any more feed back will be great!! thanks guys for reading

nano reefer

if you spelt Noob right i would answer.... also, if you asked a question i would answer it, but you didnt. Pick a proper title please.

fuegofish

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
if you spelt Noob right i would answer.... also, if you asked a question i would answer it, but you didnt. Pick a proper title please.
THANKS FOR BEING A D@*K !!!!!

2cold2fish

I have been on this site for about a month and the only thing I see from you is whining about new people. Don't you have anything better to do?

socal57che

" what can a put in it and what shouldnt i put in it. i love lionfish, is this a good start for a lion or should start with a bigger tank knowing it will need one at a later date. how about tangs or triggers. Or should i just start with some clowns and a nice reef set up!"
I get 4 questions in all. Lack of question marks does not mean no Q was asked.

Lions are typically for more experienced aquarists.
I think a 55 gal makes a good starter because water changes are manageable, 48" light fixtures are reasonable and also fit 75 and 90 gal tanks, and there is enough room for a small community of inhabitants whereas you reach the limits of a 38 pretty quick.
Tangs need a lot of swimming room and established rock to graze on so Keep that in mind if you want one. Triggers will eat coral so if you want coral you should steer clear of triggers.
False percs are hardy and fun to watch. Remember that anemones have minimum light requirements and can poison the water if they die so take your time where they are concerned. The clowns aren't guaranteed to host anyway.
I guess what I am saying is that I recommend a 55 gal with 260 watts PC light fixture and some ocellaris clowns.

I am personally not a fan of the 55 gallon tanks simply because of the lack of depth (front to back). If you want a 48" tank I would highly recommend a 75 gallon. I like 90's too but for me they are a little too tall for easy maintenance (at least with FW that requires weekly vacuuming, SW might be different story).