Newbie 24 gallon all-in-one reefer.

3xplorer19

Thanks. My problem now is the vermitid snails are multiplying faster than my bumblebee snails can consume and I have 14 bumblebee. I might have to buy more.

lmforbis

I wouldn’t worry about them. They don’t hurt anything. They will multiply to match the food supply. Cut back on food and their population should stabilize and begin to die off.

3xplorer19

back guys with a very bad news...ICH IS BACK!!!! HELP!!!!...I just setup my 20 gallon long quarantine tank lastnight. I used water from my main display tank of 10 gallons when I did water change on. Currently, my fishes collection are. Salfin Tang, Yellow Tang. Blue Royal Tang ( it started from him), Foxface, 4 clownfishes, Blue Mandarin Dragonet, Yellow Watchmen Goby and Six Line Wrasse. I only see signs of ICH in the bigger fishes and the clownfishes. Do I need to transfer the Dragoonet, Goby and Wrasse? Or transfer them all? How does copper affect them?

lmforbis

Everything needs to be treated in QT. Then the main tank must be kept fallow (fishless) for 72 days. This is to allow the ich to die off.
Unless you have a tank over 100 gal and 6 feet long you have very inappropriate fish and way too many. Min of 125 gal for tangs except the bristletooth tangs.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
The correct answer is yes. Yes you need a bigger aquarium. Even if it's not an option, just do it. Whatever it takes, any means necessary! You're a reefer now and you may as well go ahead and rethink your entire life and adjust everything in it to revolve around your aquariums. Yes I said aquariums because you will have them and they will be awesome! The answer to all aquarium issues is water volume. More the better. You can equate volumetric bioload to equivalent water exchanges based on assumed nutrient production. Let's be honest, we don't really do stuff like that, so just get a 120 gallon and move on with your life.:D Disclaimer: This reply is 50 percent humor and should be taken lightly. The other half is dead serious.

lmforbis

Agree 100% except I’d say get a 125 or give up the tangs. Tangs need that 6’ of length to swim Most 120s are only 4’ a 120 high is 5’ which is marginal for tangs. If you want a mandarin you need the big tank as well. You can’t supply a mandarin with enough food constantly in a smaller tank. Sure they live a while but the will slowly die of starvation in a small tank. Your 40 would make an amazing quarantine tank or sump.

3xplorer19

Thanks guys for the honesty! I appreciate it much. At the moment, this is what I can afford and what I can maintain. When I move and have my own house I'll consider. In the interim I really do love my setup and hope to enjoy what I have for the next year or two.

1 week left of cupramine treatment for the qt fishes and more left days for the main tank to fallow. So far both are doing great.

accepting more tips and advices would help me better in the hobby thanks...

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Agree 100% except I’d say get a 125 or give up the tangs. Tangs need that 6’ of length to swim Most 120s are only 4’ a 120 high is 5’ which is marginal for tangs. If you want a mandarin you need the big tank as well. You can’t supply a mandarin with enough food constantly in a smaller tank. Sure they live a while but the will slowly die of starvation in a small tank. Your 40 would make an amazing quarantine tank or sump.
I worked on ORAs aquacultured mandarin project in 2007. From my experience, there's no need for a large tank. Just feed proper diets and they're fine. With many commercially available pod products, they've never been easier. I've also never seen a farmed dragonette refuse small pellet. j/s

3xplorer19

I just finished my 2 weeks cupramine treatment and my fishes are all looking great. can't really tell internally but outside are good healthy and eating. my question now is while in QT for the remaining 2 months...is it possible to add couple more fishes. I've done a 100% water change on the qt. I know there's still copper in there but not much...I also know I can't use qt to add corals.. right?

lmforbis

I would not recommend more fish For several reasons.
first, you already have way too many fish for your 40 gal. If my count is right, you have 6 small fish which are about the right number and size for a 40 gal. Then you have 3 tangs and a fox face, all too big and inappropriate for a 40 gallon.
second, your 20 gal QT is very crowded
third, you need to make sure the treatment worked.
fourth, any new fish may come in sick and reinfect all the others.

3xplorer19

yeah I haven't purchased anything yet... couple reasons...possibly job lost due to pandemic....just purchased marine depot 4 stage rodi system … and possibly buying a house next year...so yeah..other reason is Reefapalooza is in place for NY/NJ on Dec 12-13..also get one of my clams died so doing a lot of water changes through out the week