Newbie Alert!!! 90 Gallon HELP needed

stevieb

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time and reading/replying to my post.
I aquired a 90 gallon tank w/ stand and extras:
eheim filter
2 Emperors
Water heaters
I've had 12/20 gallon freshwater, but Im going to venture into the saltwater world.
So, here we go:
1. Should I buy the Carib-Sea (Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand)
2. Buy a 5 gallon bucket of salt ?
Do I add the tap water first, then add the sand/salt? When do I add the salt? What should I keep in the filters?
The goal is to house a beautiful tank with fish and live rock.
I'll have more questions as I go. But any basic help would be great.

jackri

First of all I would highly advise against using tap water. You're looking at major algae problems in the future IMO.
Salt is cheaper by the 5 gallon bucket and you will go through it.
Substrate I would go just crushed coral/sand -- doesn't have to be live as your tank will have to cycle anyways.
I would also look into getting some live rock. Keep reading and keep learning

stevieb

Thanks for the quick reply.
Giving the water, what else is key for first time setup? What sand should I use then?

maeistero

no tap water, yes on the 5gal bucket of salt you'll need it
carib-sea is great stuff and will help your cycle go a little quicker, stay away from crushed coral
you can mix the ro water with your salt in the empty tank, after that pre-mix it. or you can usually buy saltwater at a lfs. be careful using that for topoffs though as you may need differing amounts of salt depending on evaporation/water changes.
my key for newcomers is patience and constant testing. it's hard to wait out a cycle but you have to. in order to do that you have to keep tabs on the cycle. then you have to continually test for mini-cycles indicating a problem somewhere.

stevieb

I have no challenge waiting for the cycle.
After reading for hours on here I learned a lot.
From what I can see, get 1 live rock and use that with the sand as your cycle starter.
Any other tips?
What else will I need?