Newbie here!

yunabug

So yeah, my first post and thread! *jumps into water*
I currently aquired a 40 gallon saltwater set-up. Everything I need down to the live sand and live rock. I am STOKED.
I'll be setting it up and readying the tank for the cycle some time next week, during which time I am going to read up more on the fishies I want to aqquire. I figure the two month-ish time period is going to be ample time to read up on some starter fishies.
I did have one quick question though.
I REALLY want a Coral Beauty dwarf angelfish. One book I read said that they need at least a 40 gallon tank, and one website said at least a 30 gallon tank.
I don't plan on having corals or anything of the sort in this tank. Just live rock.
The fish I want in the tank are as follows. I will, of course, be narrowing down this list, but I would like to see which fish on this list would be best to live with the Coral Beauty, assuming I could get it.

The list:
False perc clownfish
Firefish
Bangaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Blue headed Canary Blenny (Wondering about this one, because I haven't seen one for sale on line or in the store I go to. The scientific name is Meiacanthus nigrolineatus
.)
Pillow Cushion Starfish
There were a few more I was looking at, but I just can't seem to remember them right now. I can list them as I remember.
Thanks for your help!

mr_x

hi. i have seen the coral beauty live nicely with other fish, but the one i had (it was a 75 gallon tank at the time) was ferocious. he went after anybody and everybody, and killed off some, until i evicted him.
it's very hard to say what is compatable with what, because i believe each fish has somewhat different personality. you may get a more docile CB, or another terror, like mine was.
in a perfect world, all of those fish should be ok with the CB.

shaunalynna

Welcome to the boards! I have to say +1 to Mr X post. I have seen CB the same as he stated and then others docile as can be. I myself would say in that list of yours go with clowns. There usually always docile but as X said each there own personality. Best of luck with the choice and enjoy the tank!

yunabug

Thanks for the quick replies!
My friend had a Coral Beauty for a while, and said that she (or he) was a complete sweetheart, and that she was best friend with the clowns in her tank.
I was also looking at the Flame dwarf angelfish (I know you can't put them together, I was just looking at the CB and Flame as my two choices of dwarf angelfish, trying to decide which one to get) ... but she said those were mean.
What's your opinion on the Flames?

saltagain

welcome to the boards from another nebie poster.I have two perc clowns and i love em there great fish and eat everything in site.

mr_x

all of the angels are pretty much the same- reef safe with caution. some nip at corals, some are extremely territorial, and some are perfect little angels. this same advice can go for tangs as well. everyone says they are reef safe, but i've had a yellow mimic tang that took a few bites out of my favorite coral, until i removed it.
i love the angels. i would like to have a potters angel in my tank, but i'm afraid he'll nip at my massive coral collection, so i do without. my advice would be to give it a shot. it's not going to be extremely hard to remove him early on. once you get a tank full of corals, it's a real PITA.

yunabug

Well, like I said, I don't plan to do corals or anything with this tank. Just live rock and live sand. I MIGHT try zoos.... but not for a good long while. I am still learning ^_^
If I did decide to get one of these beauties, when would I need to add it? Would it need to be one of my first fishies, or one of the last?