Newbie Log: First Entry

rsanders

Well I’m off and running so I thought I would share some thoughts and feelings since alot of what I know now comes from the feedback from the boards.
Just to give a little history, I bought my Dad’s 75g setup he used for freshwater: Tank, stand, two Mag350 canister filters, heater, a large airstone w/ pump, and net.
DAY 1:
I ordered online from a few diff sites- 90# of Fiji LR, 4x65 FL, Blue to Black Background, (also a guitar for my Daughter for Christmas), and a SeaClone150 skimmer. Totaling around $680-$700 so far.<less the GEEtar> Then I took a ride to the LFS w/ my GF and picked up 60# of LS, 3 bags of salt, and a tester for salinity, another $220. Got home, and started filling the tank w/ tap water and salt. After tweaking the salt a little, got it to the right salinity. Set up the mag filters to circulate the water.
I continue reading and reading to make sure I’m ready for this. So then guilt sets in and….
DAY2:
Ordered RO/DI 6 stage water filter for the good of the fishies. :happyfish Another $200 <damn>
DAY3:
After letting the tank sit full –o- water for a day, added the 3 bags of LS (60#).
DAY4:
Checked levels w/ test kits and everything looks fine. LFS says I may not go through a full cycle since I put in all the LS so I picked up two Damsels and threw ‘em in.<after proper acclimation>
DAY5:
UPS dropped off the lights. After opening them up, I have to take it apart somewhat to get the moonlights in the proper places. Total install of the lights and timers took around an hour and a half to two hours. My little Damsels are rocking and rolling around this tank. They look funny.. two little fish in a big empty 75 gal w/ LS. They dug little holes in the sand like bunkers that they live in. My kids are loving them.:cheer:
DAY6:
I knew the LR was coming today so before the rock arrived, I ran out and picked up two 38 gallon Rubbermaid trashcans with lids, $8each, and an extra heater from the LFS. FEDX dropped off the 90# of LR. Up until this point in time, I haven’t really been getting very excited about the whole thing. A little while at the fish store admiring some of my future livestock, but it all still feels far away. Until I opened up the boxes of LR. :yes:
I expected them to not be very good since I budget shopped but boy was I surprised. The rock looked great! It looked right on the pix of the Fiji premium stuff on the sites. The smell of the opened boxes reminded me of the ocean. I know that doesn’t seem like much but I grew up a surfer in Florida and moved here to Ohio two years ago. SHELL SHOCK. So smelling these boxes got me excited. Now I can see the goal getting closer. . I was ready so I scrubbed the rock, cleaned it off in one can then rested it in the other. While doing this UPS dropped off my skimmer so as soon as I finished getting the rock scrubbed and in the can w/ water, I put together the skimmer and tossed it on the can to help move the water. I also tossed in the heater and airstone to keep it heated and moving. Right now it’s about 81 degrees in there and I’m keeping the lid on it best I can to keep any light out.
SHEEW… hard day. :sleepy: Hands are raw from the rock and arms and back are sore from carrying everything. So before I called it a day, I cleaned out the two 5 gallon buckets and trash can. Then I mixed some fresh saltwater so it can age a few days before using it for the rocks water change. My plan is to take the rocks out of one, give them a little scrub, then place them in the fresh one. Then move over all the equipment to the can with the rocks, and clean out the used one and get it ready for the rocks to come back.
So that’s where I’m at… End of day six. I’m exhausted. I have a seat to admire the two Damsels in the tank for awhile. They seem to be getting along great and doing well. Both eating and swimming about. One is a Blue Devil, the other a Domino. :happyfish We named them Blue Steel and Magnum.
NEXT:
My son (5yrs) and I are planning to change the rock in a few days and just wait for it to cure. The tank seems to be doing fine. I am checking the levels and I’m not sure what’s going on. Everything is reading just fine. I have been slightly overfeeding to help the tank cycle but I’m not sure if it is or not. I’ll keep you posted.
~R
:cheer:

rsanders

The Curing LR.
You can see the heater, skimmer, pump for airstone, and the next batch of water for the change.

rossim

Great post! Can't wait to see how it looks once you're finished.
Why are you curing the LR in the buckets? Since you are starting a new tank, you could probably put the rock right in the tank. Between the rock, the damsels, and the food, the cycle should kick right off! Just a suggestion. That is actually how I got my tank going.
Again looks great! Keep us posted!

rsanders

rossim, actually those are 35 gallon rubbermaid trashcans but reasons I decided against curing them in the tank was one: The smell. I heard that the smell can sometimes get pretty bad and my tank is right smack in the middle of my kitchen/living room. And two: I wanted to try and keep the tank pretty clean and didn't want to have to try and keep scrubing the rocks from in there. Plus I set up my "cure station" in my laundry room next to my utility sink and that makes it alot easy for water changes.
~R

dvs

Somebody should be broadcasting football games, lol. Excellent play by play. Keep us posted!

rsanders

UPDATE:
Things are moving along in the setup of the new tank. The rocks are fully cured now and my RO/DI filter arrived.
It only took at little more than 5 days for the rocks to cure. I waited until the smell was gone and the levels were back down to normal.
Just to recap.. I had 90# of rock in a 35 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan with an airstone, heater, and protein skimmer. After about 3 days or so I did a 100% water change. To do this I had another trashcan with premixed water sitting next to the one with the rocks. I gave each one of the rocks another scrub and then placed it in the new can. :)
RO/DI install: Well guys I though I was pretty handy but this proved a little tougher than I had hoped. The directions were written by someone who apparently understood plumbing better than me so they didn’t help much. :notsure: After about 2 hours I had it installed and running. Along the way I got my kitchen pretty wet from leaks and whatnot so be prepared if you DIY. I did have to make a run to the HW store and get another piece that I mistakenly drilled a hole in. DOH!
After it was in a running, about an hour later my GF got home from work and I though I would show her my accomplishment. I demonstrated the water as it came out of the new little faucet..”.um.. nice” she said. Of course not fully appreciating all the work I had put into it but ok that’s fine.. I’ll just SHOW her. :happy: So I opened the cabinet doors to unveil all the glory for what the water filter and tank can display!! Splash.. Opening the doors was like opening the damn. “AAAHhhhh..” we screamed together. :eek: Apparently the water system <so I read later> works from a pressure system built from the tank. As the pressurized tank fills, the pressure builds. IE: when the tank starts getting full it puts more and more pressure on the hoses. IE: if the hose isn’t quite tight enough, at THIS point is where it will choose to “pop” and spray a lovely stream until noticed.
NOTE: STAY CLOSE BY UPON STARTING NEWLY INSTALLED RO/DI FILTER TO MONITER FOR LEAKS THAT MAY OCCUR.

Ok OK enough. So after fixing that, and using a little Teflon tape on the tank valve, we’re good to go.. no leaks and good water.
After 3 more days the rocks were ready to go. I laid out some plastic on my kitchen table and a cardboard cutout of the size of my tank so my GF and I could start playing with some aquascaping ideas. WHOOPS. While moving the rocks out of the trashcan I broke the S&!T out of my 200watt heater. That sucked.
NOTE: REMOVE HEATERS WHEN DOING ANYTHING WITH LR.

Oh well, live and learn. Once we had an idea of how we wanted to setup the rocks in the tank, in they went. After a few minutes of messing with the rock I realized I had put some scratches in the glass. DAMN.
NOTE: WHILE ARRANGING ROCKS IN TANK, BE AWARE THAT THEY WILL SCRATCH GLASS <OR ACRYLIC>.

Luckily I didn’t do too much scratching and you can’t really notice it much.
Now it’s all setup. Have the water level back up to the top, all the LR and LS is in, and were cookin’. Looks like a fish tank finally! In the tank at this point are the two fish, Blue and Domino Damsel, and 3 little clams/mussels. They hitchhiked in on the rocks. Kind of neat, every morning when I get up I see lines in the sand where the little clams were running around the tank. :happy:
So this is where I’m at today. I’m going to order a cleaning crew here in the next few days and then just let the tank go for another month or so. Then if all is well I will fish out the Damsels and trade ‘em in for some other livestock.
~R
ps. I know that everyone hates the SeaClone skimmers so I thought I would attach a pic of the skimmer after full day of skimming the rocks. Not sure if it should be more or less but it does look like it’s getting something.

darknes

Wow...very nice work and updates
Looks like someone definitely did their homework on this one!
By the way, are those rocks glued or attached to each other or not?

sailfin

I think I am as excited about your tank as I am mine. You're doing a great job, so keep us updated with new additions please.
:yes:

rsanders

Originally posted by Darknes
Wow...very nice work and updates
Looks like someone definitely did their homework on this one!
By the way, are those rocks glued or attached to each other or not?

Thanks.
I drilled some holes and used 3/4" fiberglass dowels cut to various lenths. Took about an hour and a half from planning to setting up in the tank.
~R

rsanders

Originally posted by sailfin
I think I am as excited about your tank as I am mine. You're doing a great job, so keep us updated with new additions please.
:yes:

Awesome, willdo.
I'm hoping this post can help other ppl like me <newbs> since I'm making some mistakes that I didn't plan on.
~R