newbie looking to start sps

ok i really like sps now and am looking to get some , my questions are
do they intake alot of calcium...my current calcium is 430ppm and i have about 15 corals from lps, softies, and zoas.
my tank is about 3 months old, is this to soon too start, i was thinking about starting with a monti cap.
also what do you feed sps, and how often do you feed them
thanks for everyones input

rebelprettyboy

Ive never spot fed mine they just fileter feed. Calcium could be a bit higher. Need high Alk as well. Also how much flow you got? And what size tank and lighting?
N they love calcium

ok i just checked calcium its 440ppm
i have the solana 34g and 150w mh, looking to get the 250w sunpod soon but im gonna put them at the top of the tank

dont have an alk test yet. and as for flow i have the standard returns for the solana and 2 k1 powerheads
thanks for the help

nycbob

sps likes good direct flow. ur lighting is good enough for monti cap. having 1 sps wont deplete ur calcium level if u do regular water change.

ok. i have my powerheads where the monti would get good direct flow, how many sps could i have before i would have to start dosing calcium...i do a 15% weekly water change.

gatorwpb

having the lps can deplete your alk levels. id get an alk test before adding any sps, as alk burn happens much easier with sps than lps.
you could have a couple of sps before water changes wouldnt be enough.
i have enough now that i use much more calc solution than the alk solution of my 2-part because of all the sps.

newbfish

Hey, I'm thinking about getting sps too!!
Tank is 30gal and currently I'm trying a DIY 10gal ref/sump with a AquaC Remora PS. Lighting is a Sunpod 150 watt 14k. Dont know how much flow I have, but I have 2 mini Koralas and a MaxiJet 1200. thinking thats good...
My questions are would I be able to keep monti caps? and if so what should be my parameters? mainly worried about the calcium and alk.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by NewbFish
http:///forum/post/2686123
Hey, I'm thinking about getting sps too!!
Tank is 30gal and currently I'm trying a DIY 10gal ref/sump with a AquaC Remora PS. Lighting is a Sunpod 150 watt 14k. Dont know how much flow I have, but I have 2 mini Koralas and a MaxiJet 1200. thinking thats good...
My questions are would I be able to keep monti caps? and if so what should be my parameters? mainly worried about the calcium and alk.
That lighting will be plenty. upgrade the bulb and itll be even better. but the stock bulb is still pretty good.
I shoot for calc 400-440 and alk 9-10 dkh. pH 8.3