newbie needs a few things that are probably common to be ID'd

kilofey

i know this urchin is a pin cushion of some sort, but anyone know the specific kind? its a light blueish-whiteish-greyish color

kilofey

theres this pink thing, and theres also a clear one with an iridecent green color that can only be seen when i look at it at an angle

monsinour

#1 looks to be some kind of palys, closer pic maybe?
#3 is bad, kill it with aiptasia-x, joes juice, boiling RO water, 2Quils(?)anemone zapper.
No clue on the others.

kilofey

heres one of my two colt corals. does it look healthy? the other one looks like it and is about the same size. the guy i got my stuff from said he had the lights off for about a month... they looked alot worse yesterday, ive been giving them 12 on 12 off hrs of light. do you think the little hair things will come out of the tubes on the "branches" or does it look beyond repair?

kilofey

heres a pic of the tank... does the LR arrangement look "goofy"? should i redo it, if so anyone have any suggestions? are the powerheads ok where they are? the intake is behind some of the rocks, i figured it might get the junk from behind them, but does that restrict water flow?

kilofey

awwww, the #3 pic is one of my favorite things in the tank, why are they bad? i bought that rock at my LFS specificially because i liked it lol... what a noob. its a very small rock, i can just get rid of it if the thing is really bad

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///forum/thread/386526/newbie-needs-a-few-things-that-are-probably-common-to-be-id-d#post_3395707
awwww, the #3 pic is one of my favorite things in the tank, why are they bad? i bought that rock at my LFS specificially because i liked it lol... what a noob. its a very small rock, i can just get rid of it if the thing is really bad
It is aptasia and it spreads like fire and stings all other coral to death. LOL...Don't feel bad, I asked how much a guy wanted for some in a store. They do look pretty until the tank is full of them. Get some joes juice, or aptasia X, it comes with a syringe just gently aim making sure you don't touch it because it will draw up and hide...squirt the white stuff right on it's face, it will eat it up and melt right then and there. You might need some peppermint shrimp if you see more.

spanko

#1 Button Polyp - Epizoanthus sp.
#2 Pincushion Urchin maybe - Lytechinus sp.
#3 Pest anemone - Aiptasia sp.
(get rid of it while you can IMO)
#4 Bleached mushroom coral most likely - Discosoma sp.

Colt coral looks fine to me.
Do you like the scape? Really all that matters. To me looks too much like a pile of rock. Make some more interesting shape to it, perhaps an island or two to set things off a bit. But if you like it just disregard my comments.

kilofey

I isolated the rock with pest anemone and squirted boiling ro/di water on the 2 I had :eek:( wish they werent pests, those were my fav things in the tank... Oh well, leaves more room for other goodies :)
EDIT: for the mushrooms, I have a few of them, is there a way to un-bleach them? If I remember correctly, theyre photosynthetic, correct? I have them on a consistant lighting schedule now (unlike the previous owner who starved them of light for about a month). Im surw the lighting wil help, but is there a food I can shoot at them to give them a boost? I read that light converts something in the corals to sugar, which acts as a catalyst to help them consume real food. Since this is a new tank and the only things floating around is the debris from what was already on the rock before I got it, should I go pick up some food for my colt, (or as someone else suggested, possibly kenya tree), my mushrooms and my polyps? I dont want to over feed, but would one good feeding be beneficial to them since the tank is new? Possibly the left over food may help jumpstart my cycle as well? Just a thought, wanted to get some opinions as my mushrooms clearly look hungry lol

kilofey

I isolated the rock with pest anemone and squirted boiling ro/di water on the 2 I had :eek:( wish they werent pests, those were my fav things in the tank... Oh well, leaves more room for other goodies :)
EDIT: for the mushrooms, I have a few of them, is there a way to un-bleach them? If I remember correctly, theyre photosynthetic, correct? I have them on a consistant lighting schedule now (unlike the previous owner who starved them of light for about a month). Im surw the lighting wil help, but is there a food I can shoot at them to give them a boost? I read that light converts something in the corals to sugar, which acts as a catalyst to help them consume real food. Since this is a new tank and the only things floating around is the debris from what was already on the rock before I got it, should I go pick up some food for my colt, (or as someone else suggested, possibly kenya tree), my mushrooms and my polyps? I dont want to over feed, but would one good feeding be beneficial to them since the tank is new? Possibly the left over food may help jumpstart my cycle as well? Just a thought, wanted to get some opinions as my mushrooms clearly look hungry lol
EDIT... AGAIN...:
ok, so I bought reef nutrition "oyster feast" for my corals. Since I dont have many corals to feed yet, I plan on doing less than half the reccomended doseage. Is this good stuff?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/386526/newbie-needs-a-few-things-that-are-probably-common-to-be-id-d#post_3395715
#1 Button Polyp - Epizoanthus sp.
#2 Pincushion Urchin maybe - Lytechinus sp.
#3 Pest anemone - Aiptasia sp.
(get rid of it while you can IMO)
#4 Bleached mushroom coral most likely - Discosoma sp.

Colt coral looks fine to me.
Do you like the scape? Really all that matters. To me looks too much like a pile of rock. Make some more interesting shape to it, perhaps an island or two to set things off a bit. But if you like it just disregard my comments.
+1 on his ID's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///forum/thread/386526/newbie-needs-a-few-things-that-are-probably-common-to-be-id-d#post_3395852
EDIT: for the mushrooms, I have a few of them, is there a way to un-bleach them
? If I remember correctly, theyre photosynthetic, correct? I have them on a consistant lighting schedule now (unlike the previous owner who starved them of light for about a month). Im surw the lighting wil help, but is there a food I can shoot at them to give them a boost? I read that light converts something in the corals to sugar, which acts as a catalyst to help them consume real food. Since this is a new tank and the only things floating around is the debris from what was already on the rock before I got it, should I go pick up some food for my colt, (or as someone else suggested, possibly kenya tree), my mushrooms and my polyps? I dont want to over feed, but would one good feeding be beneficial to them since the tank is new? Possibly the left over food may help jumpstart my cycle as well? Just a thought, wanted to get some opinions as my mushrooms clearly look hungry lol
EDIT... AGAIN...:
ok, so I bought reef nutrition "oyster feast" for my corals.
Since I dont have many corals to feed yet, I plan on doing less than half the reccomended doseage. Is this good stuff?
If they are alive - they'll color up and do fine
Oyster feast is awesome stuff - get some roti & phyto feast and your set for coral foods. I mix a little of all 3 together in a 1/2 cup of DT water and feed my corals with it twice a week, using 1/2 the mixture for a "nooner" feeding and the other 1/2 after lights out for the night feeding corals on the days I feed (wed & sat)
If this tank has yet to cycle, some of the neat things may not survive it, however the bad things (aiptasia) will. And be sure to keep looking foe more airtasia in there and kill it off as soon as you find them - they can breed shortly after they get big enough to be seen, and can totally take over a system, killing off the good things that cost $$

kilofey

the rocks i have aiptasia on are quite small, one has some pretty coraline algae... but i would sacrafice that in order to not have pests, should i just throw the 2 rocks out? i have 3 aiptasia right now, i squirted some boiling RO water at them, they seem to not be having such a good day at the moment, but if i should just throw the 2 pieces of rock away, i will... the rocks are only about 3".
also, is this one of those snail things that shoots webbing all over? if it is, how do i rid myself of it? use tweezers and just break it off? (its in the direct center of the pic on the lower part of my green star polyp frag)... polyps not open at the moment because they were just put in the tank an hour or so ago...

is this a pest or is it a good thing?

kilofey

I have some green star polyps (different ones than shown above) they came with my LR, I havemt seen them open yet and its been about 4 days now, I like the purple mat drapeing over the rocks, can I keep it in there if the star polyps are dead or is it bad for the water quality? how do I know if its dead?