Newbie needs help on tank sizes!

ocgirlygrl

I bought a 12 gallon eclipse tank in August and it has been up and running and is in great condition. I would like to switch to a larger tank though. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what size tank I should get. I live in an apt. on the second floor, so nothing too big. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

duke13

You can also consider getting a 40 gal breeder. It's actually longer and has more surface swimming area than a 55 so you can get away with putting fish rated for a 55 in a 40 breeder.

T

thomas712

My first saltwater tank was a 55. Its a great size for a beginner.

ocgirlygrl

Thanks, I was actually thinking 55 would be the best! Also, right now I have no test kits for my small tank. What are some of the test kits or additives that I should buy for my small tank and for the new bigger tank? Thanks for all your help!

arkey.d

Buy Salifert test kits they are the best. You'll need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to start with for your cycle. You'll also want to get a refractometer for testing your Specific Gravity. You shouldn't need additives.

ocgirlygrl

Thank you so much for all your help! I just found these message boards today and it was the best resouce I could have ever hoped to find! Thanks sooo much for all your help!