newbie questions

jackdp

Here's the spiel...converted 20L FW tank to SW it has in it no live rock or live sand, just cc over undergravel filter with a tetra tec "wet/dry" hang on power filter and one power head right now. On the advice of a book, I filled the tank, let it set for a few days and then added two damsels to get the whole thing started. The damsels went in about 2 weeks ago and I have yet to see a drastic ammonia spike. Is the low bioload just keeping the cycling VERY slow. Also, now that I've read here the benefits of LR is it a problem to add it slowly over time (don't have budget to buy 15-20lbs all at once)? If I add live rock should I just kill the undergravel? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, the 2 fish are yellow tailed damsels and seem to be happy as hell, just eatin 'n swimmin like mad. Almost forgot, what kinda level should I be waiting for with ammonia and should I be testing for total ammonia or just free ammonia?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What book did you read?
I'd say ditch the undergravel and the crushed coral. Save your money for some live sand and live rock. Beleive me, you won't be sorry. In a 20 gal tank, it really won't cost that much to put some LR and LS in it.
What are your ammonia and nitrite levels. Are you feeding the fish?
What type lighting do you have?

surfnturf

Beth is right, of course;) The TetraTec does look like a good idea though, so I can't really say anything about that. Get the CC out of there and get yourself enough sand to give a 4-5 inch layer on the bottom of the tank (you'll be glad you did in about 2 months). You should use the finest (smallest grain size ) arragonite sand that you can find. Use a raw shrimp in the tank to cycle it, forget about using damsels unless you want to keep them for a long time and never add anything else.

jackdp

Lol of course I'm feeding the fish, been giving them frozen clam, frozen shrimp they'll eat anything. Right now the ammonia is around .5mg/l and the nitrites just about 0. Can I make the change from CC to sand with the critters in there. I don't want to just trash them and they are way too cute and small to eat :D

surfnturf

If you batter and deep fry them, they're pretty good, LOL:D You can get the CC out of there and get the sand in there with the damsels in there. It will be cloudy for a day or so, but the fish will be fine, there is a reason people cycle tanks with them, they live through pretty much anything (unfortunately:D ) It will take 4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle, then you'll be set. Your CC hasn't become established with beneficial bacteria yet so there is little harm that you can do by removing it and replacing it with 4-5 inches of sand (DSB). BTW, I'm interested in how well the TetraTec works, it seems like a good product, but I haven't seen it in action yet. A lot of people oppose the use of bacterial starters, but try using "Cycle" to give the TetraTec a boost, then you don't have to worry while the sandbed establishes itself. I'll probably get a bunch of flak for the last part;)

jackdp

The tetra tec seems to be working pretty well. I've had it running about three weeks now. I have the smallest model so it has 2 filter pads in it and 2 water outlets. One outlet puts out a constant flow while the other empties a chamber with a biosponge in it and pulses water. It kinda creates an alternating current. The one I have, the 150 I think...doesn't have the flow of a powerhead but it does create some movement. I already added a little biozyme just to see what would happen......thx for the info so far

surfnturf

The biozyme may have gotten to the ammonia before you could take a measurement. Check your nitrite levels, if they are high, then you have a week to a week and a half left. If they are low, then check nitrate, if you have a measureable level you are almost there. Do water changes to keep the nitrate level below 20 (mg/l) if possible. FO can easily take 40-60 (Nitrate), above that you may run into some problems.