Newbie setting up new tank

i am completly new to this hobby and love reef tanks.. i have a 56 gallon tank with about 65 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand.. i have a standard hook on the back filter, and once my cycling is complete i will get a t5 light. my Q is when i do water change, do i just replace the water with r/o water and no salt mixture? of do i mix it with fresh salt or what. and what are good levels to be at when you check your parameters? will this filter do for a good reef take or should i upgrade. so many Q?, i cant wait to get started

rcoultas

That filter is ok for starters but you will want to upgrade .
Parameters should be
SG 1.023-1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate < 20 for FOWLR <10 for reef
Calcium 400-500
When you do water changes you need to premix the water to the correct salinity and try to match the tank temperatur as well - if you are topping off (replacing evaporated water) you do not add salt - the salt does not evaporate.

ok what is premix water? and i know salt wont evap. but when i take out 10-15% it will take out salt so how does that get replaced? i heardyou just use r/o water

bill109

Originally Posted by southstar066
ok what is premix water? and i know salt wont evap. but when i take out 10-15% it will take out salt so how does that get replaced? i heardyou just use r/o water
the salt doesn't evap.. so when you do top off (just R.O water no salt) it puts the salt level down. when u do a water change you mix ur salt appropriatly to the corecct salinity and pour it in the tank but make sure ur ph and temp are close to whats in the tank,
also when u take out you 10=15 percent.. your taking out water but all the water in the tank has the same ration of salt in it. so when u tke out water your salt will still be the same. just less water volume.

robpsca

when you do a top off just use ro water when you do a 10 to 15 percent water change mix up saltwater in a tub and make sure the temp and salinity are the same.

ok that helps alot....thanks i am completly new to this, so if the ph level is different what would be the best way to get it to the same

bill109

Originally Posted by southstar066
ok that helps alot....thanks i am completly new to this, so if the ph level is different what would be the best way to get it to the same
use buffer.. i doubt that your water r/o is going to be at a 8.0 level.
but buffer is just somethign that bumps your tanks' ph level up. its a dry good. powder.