Newbie with Questions! :)

daisywb

Hello!
I've recently found this board and I am impressed with this online community and its willingness to help those in need. With that in mind, I'd like to offer up a few questions <wink>
One topic that I haven't even heard mentioned at all is the lifespan of fish. I'm sure it varies greatly from species to species, but I'm curious as to if there is some kind of average? Do you think that if a fish is tank-bred that it has an impact on the lifespan of that fish? Also, is it possible to tell the age of a fish before you purchase it? As I understand, a lot of, if not most, fish are caught in the wild. I’m somewhat uneasy with the thought of purchasing an expensive fish only to have it die within 6 months or a year.
Also, I’ve seen on other sites that some suggest the purchase of a glass tank, while others recommend acrylic. What are your opinions on this? What about used tanks and equipment. Good idea, bad idea?
One last question I promise (for now at least LOL)! I noticed in a few of the strings that someone had mentioned not wanting fish that were from the Philippines. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the reason for this?
I've only recently started heavily researching this hobby as you can probably tell from my questioning LOL. I haven't made a single purchase yet as it will probably be a year or so before the thought of purchasing an aquarium will be feasible. However, thanks to the many tips and advice from everyone here, I will have a better understanding as to what it takes to have healthy, happy fish.
I look forward to hearing your comments and tips. Eventually, I hope to be able to share my own &#8220;fishy&#8221; experiences with all of you.
Many thanks!
Daisy

oldest salt

Hi Daisy
Welcome to the Saltwaterfish.com message board. It's true, you will find a lot of good information coming from the members. But alas, you will need to wade in and get your feet wet (actually just your arms and hands). You are going to find that what someone says works for them may not work for you because not enough techy info can easily be exchanged on the MB. You may be doing something quite different than the other.
I've been in this hobby since 1946. Yes, that's why I'm "The Oldest Salt". When I graduated from fresh to saltwater, in 1965, we were lucky to keep "easy" fish alive for more than a couple of weeks to a month.
All that has changed of course and now we expect to keep them alive indefinitely. It depends on many factors and your level of experience.
My personal opinion is this; I am not successful with a fish or coral until it is alive and healthy in my system after one year. When I commited to that as my goal back in the early '70s, I soon began reaching that goal and exceeding it by years and years.
My two longest record breakers were both clown fish (easy fish). The first an Amphiprion ocellarus (referred to here on the MB as false Percula)lived an incredible eight years. The second longest was an Amphiprion percula (true percula) that I just gave to a friend that's been with me for five years.
So you see, it's mostly up to you how long fish will live. Learn how to set up your aquarium properly and then maintain it properly and you will have little trouble. Being hap-hazard results in different outcomes. There are many pitfalls along the way and your questions are a good place to start. So I'll make an attempt to give advice since you asked.
Q-1: Yes tank bred fish are better equiped to survive as long as they have not been mishandled by the wholesaler, shipper, LFS and ultimately you.
Q-2: It's only a guess telling the age of fish unless you buy from the breeder. That's the only way to be sure.
Q-3: Acrylic vs glass. Both have their following. My experience is this; in the begining of course acrylic was not available so I used glass until 1985. Then I purchased my first acrylic tank and was completely sold on them ever since. In fact I was the Clarity Plus distributor for WI from 1987 to 1997.
Q-4: Used vs new. Either is OK as long as you look over the used carefully.
Q-5: Philippine fish. It is well documented that most fish from the Philippines are harvested with cyanide or other chemicals. Those fish for the most part are doomed. Efforts are being made to educate the natives on how to net fish without chemicals. You can not take anyone at face value that they only buy net caught fish. The fact is the wholesaler doesn't know for sure, so he tells his customers there only net caught. The best advice is this, learn what the behavior of each fish you are interested in looks like then observe them for awhile before you buy.
Last advice, really! Buy books and read them. Authors to look for; Delbeek, Sprung, Moe, Tullock and others. Also, FAMA magazine.
Good luck and study!
The oldest salt

predator

I won't be to much help on your fish questions.I will say thet some fish live for a long time.I'v got a friend that has had a blue tang for 8 years.And some fish don't get there true colors until they are older(example;naso tang)I don't know if that helps you any.And I started with used equipment.Just be sure everything works and holds water before you by it.Your doing the right thing by asking questions and researching before you jump in.Your saving yourself alot of trouble and money!!!Good luck .