Newbie!

mtsuguy

I recently set up my first saltwater tank, its a 55Gal tank and the lfs told me that I purchased everything I need, probably more than I needed actually. I have 75lbs of live rock and a 2" sb with live sand, Coralife skimmer rated for 65G, a Coralife UVC sterilizer and an eheim classic filter and 2 Koralia 1 powerheads. Its been setting up for 2 weeks and I have done 30% water changes in it every 5 days. The ammonia levels are at .5 and the nitrate and Nitrite levels are leveling off as well. My plan is to wait until Friday Dec 28th to actually put any fish into the tank. I would like to start out with 2 False Clowns, a Lawnmower Blenny and a Juvenile Emperor Angle. I'm worried about the angle as I read they don’t do so hot in new tanks. Should I hold off on the angle and just stick with the other 3 fish for a few months until the tank has set up for 6 months like most people suggest or would it be ok too give it a whirl as long as I keep an eye on the levels in the tank?

perfectdark

IMO I would wait until you read 0 amonia no matter how long that is. Do a water change, then add a clean up crew. Wait another week or 2 feed very lightly so your inverts dont starve. And then add your first 2 False Perc's, the lawnmower blenny is an algea eater so in a new set up use caution and make sure its well fed. As for the angel I would IMO give your tank a few months to mature.

mtsuguy

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Do a water change, then add a clean up crew. Wait another week or 2 feed very lightly so your inverts dont starve..
As far as a clean up crew, what do you recommend?

florida joe

Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs and turbo snails which can get a little pushy and move things around these IMO are good to start but the biggest and most efficent cleaner in this hobby we love is this hobby it will clean your bank account extremely well enjoy the ride

A

azul1994

I would recommend a variety of snails such as, turbo, astrea,and nassarius snails. Also i have hermit crabs in my tank, i enjoy them but they have a bad reputation for killing snails for their shells.

mtsuguy

Originally Posted by florida joe
the biggest and most efficent cleaner in this hobby we love is this hobby it will clean your bank account extremely well enjoy the ride
Ha! You got that right! I have a grand in this talk already and nothing is in it except for rock and sand. I've saved for 5 months to get this tank and already I'm down to $250 for fish/other supplies that I need once i actually get fish.

snakeblitz33

add a clean up crew first, then you can get your clowns. Slowly add fish to the tank. The emperor angelfish, NO MATTER WHAT SIZE should be kept in a tank that is no smaller then 200 gallons. It's because it is a big fish and needs a lot of swimming room. An Emperor is way way way way way to big for a 55 gallon tank.

mtsuguy

The lfs said that since its only a juvenile 1.5" that as long as I did not add any butterfly's or other fish that look similar he would be fine. This is not a permanent tank set up. In a year if all goes well I want to get a 200+ gallon.

manycolors

I am new to this hobby as well, and like stated above it is a money pit
but don't worry it will all start to pay off. I was considering getting a Juvenile Emperor Angle as well until i saw one at the LFS and it was as big as my hand! Any ways imo i would wait on that fish, just because it might grow faster than you think and you might not be planning on getting a new tank so quickly. There are a lot of smaller fish out there that are still really cool and would be happy in your 55. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and like i said before, it will all pay off and since i have gotten my tank i think i might cancel my cable subscription because i find myself infront of my tank more and more.

mtsuguy

Originally Posted by ManyColors
since i have gotten my tank i think i might cancel my cable subscription because i find myself infront of my tank more and more.
I know how that goes, I havent really gotten to enjoy the tank with fish in it yet but I know I have certainly spent more time setting up my tank than watching tv over the past few weeks. I'm sure the clowns will be interesting for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as fish that would be good to keep with clowns that are cool?

snakeblitz33

Yes, I would say that saltwater aquariums do tend to get pretty expensive, but if you enjoy your hobby and make it your passion, then the benefits outweigh the money.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by mtsuguy
I know how that goes, I havent really gotten to enjoy the tank with fish in it yet but I know I have certainly spent more time setting up my tank than watching tv over the past few weeks. I'm sure the clowns will be interesting for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as fish that would be good to keep with clowns that are cool?
Tons of choices. I suggest skimming through the fish on here and seeing what you like then post and ask. Look at cardinals, firefish, grammas/basselets, blennies, gobies, some wrasses, and dwarf angels.