pierrelavie

Whats up guys i am very new to the game and have been doing my reasearch for a while now messed with freshwater but now i am gettin into salt....I wanna do a crazy tank looking into sharks and a couple of eels i have a chance to get a good deal ona a 75g or a 100g which should i go for with what i want to put in there also are there any sharks and eels u all reccomend
Thanks in advance
Corey

mike22cha

Unfortunatly sharks need a lot bigger systems, like 240g or more, I was depressed when I heard that too so don't get too discouraged. If you want an awesome aggressive tank I'd go with a 125g with a puffer, trigger, dwarf lion, eel(zebra, snowflake, or something like that), maybe a frogfish or stonefish.
The bigger you go the more options you have.
75g-Foxface, Dwarf Puffer, Dwarf Lion, Eel, Trigger
125g-Tangs, Puffer, other things listed above
180g-Large Angels, Volitan Lionfish, things listed above
240g<-Sharks, rays, large eels, etc.
You could do a cortez ray in a 180g, but that'd need some more research before getting a ray.
You could also build a small wooden pond if you're realy hooked on sharks/rays.
But also the bigger the tank you go the more expensive it's going to be.
Also welcome to saltwaterfish.com

pierrelavie

thanks so much even something like the bamboo shark?? or horn shark i saw those today and really liked them but they are not to aggressive right??

mike22cha

Originally Posted by pierrelavie
http:///forum/post/2459049
thanks so much even something like the bamboo shark?? or horn shark i saw those today and really liked them but they are not to aggressive right??
If you're oging to go with sharks, definetly not Bamboos or Horns.
The most common Bamboo, the Brown Banded needs over 400g.
And the Horn needs over 600g or more.
If you're going with a shark/ray here are your best bets:
-Marbled or Coral Catshark-Could get away with a single shark in a
6-7'longx2.5-3'widex2'tall tank.
-Like I said before a Cortez ray could work in a 180g.
I'll post a link to a thread on here about small sharks and rays.

pierrelavie

oh ok cook thanks for the help man see alot of people been giving me garbage info they told me about 1inch to of fish to every gallon

pierrelavie

thanks so much that was good info so i am guessin the 1in to each gallon isnt right???
just thinkin about this 24 inch shark mean 240 gallon tank just for that fish right ??DAMN

crashbandicoot

the thing is with these animals you have to think about the total length of the one shark . I read somewhere that its sugested that the tank should be twice the length of the adult bamboo shark and 2/3 the width of the tank . Which means a tank 8 foot long and about 2.5 feet wide .

ccampbell57

the rule of thumb is 6 lengths of the max fish size long for the tank and half that for the depth.
For example, if you want a Smoothhound shark, max length gets to around 36", using the calculation above, you would need 120"x30"x60" for a "good" long term environment. That would be a 940g tank.
A tang that reaches 18" would need at least 72"x24"x24" (180g).

krj-1168

thanks so much that was good info so i am guessin the 1in to each gallon isnt right???
just thinkin about this 24 inch shark mean 240 gallon tank just for that fish right ??DAMN
Actually with sharks - it's not about "1 inch per gallon", but about the dimensions of the tank. Actually for small bentic sharks - it tends to be closer to "10 gallons per 1 inch".
For example - a Coral Catshark(Atelomycterus marmoratus) which grows to about 27", needs a tank that at least 270 gallons (6'L x 3'W x 2'T). Or a White-spotted Bamboo(Chiloscyllium plagiosum) which reachs 37", and requires a tank that is at least 420-480 galllons.
First - if your new to saltwater aquariums - you shouldn't start with sharks. Even the best species(most suited) require an experienced saltwater aquarist.
Second - when considering keeping sharks - you should do research, on the species you are insterested in. Then select the species which you are best qualified to keep for it's entire life.
I read somewhere that its sugested that the tank should be twice the length of the adult bamboo shark and 2/3 the width of the tank . Which means a tank 8 foot long and about 2.5 feet wide .
Yeah these figures are from Scott Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" - which is way too small. Ever see a 36" bamboo shark in a 300 gallon tank (8'L x 2.5'W x 2'T)? I've seen photos & videos - trust me it 's not pretty - in fact it's cruel.
the rule of thumb is 6 lengths of the max fish size long for the tank and half that for the depth.
For example, if you want a Smoothhound shark, max length gets to around 36", using the calculation above, you would need 120"x30"x60" for a "good" long term environment. That would be a 940g tank.
A tang that reaches 18" would need at least 72"x24"x24" (180g).
HUH?
You are aware that neither example fits these rules. Also with sharks (especially "Aquaria friendly" benthic species), tank's depth is less important than the tank width.
But for sharks -it depends on the nature of the species - as to what size tank/pond it requires. Less active species nee less space. Species that don't need to swim in order to breath(ORV-Obligated Ram Ventilator), require less swimming room those that do.
For a 42" Epualette (Benthic, non-active swimmer) - you will need a pond/tank that at least 10'L x 4'W x 2'T (about 600 gallons).
For a 42" smoothhound (non ORV, active swimmer)- you would need a pond/tank such as this -16'L x 7'W x 3'T(about 2,200-2,400 gallons).
For a 42" requiem shark (ORV, active Swimmer) - you will need a pond that's oval or round , which is at least - 24'L x 12'W x 3.33' T or 18' Diameter x 3.33' T - which is over 6,000 gallons.

pierrelavie

cool guys thanks again yeah thats why i asked i want to do my research now so it gonna be a while i have the money saved but i really wanna take my time and do it right Im am gonna do a bigger tank
Im thinking of
Cat shark
Tiger Shark
And looking into so eels but again im and starting my research so thanks for the help

ccampbell57

Depth = to width in your calculation. THat is why i said the tank must be 60" deep or wide however you want to call it.
Tall tanks for sharks is not needed.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by pierrelavie
http:///forum/post/2459386
cool guys thanks again yeah thats why i asked i want to do my research now so it gonna be a while i have the money saved but i really wanna take my time and do it right Im am gonna do a bigger tank
Im thinking of
Cat shark
Tiger Shark
And looking into so eels but again im and starting my research so thanks for the help
Don't know what you mean by Tiger Shark, I'm hoping you don't mean the shark I'm thinking of.
I'd go with a 75g aggressive, or nano reef, get used to keeping parameters stable and all that, then work your way up. Again if you're interested in sharks/rays, I'd highly recommend a cortez ray which could work in a 180g for a decent amount of time.