newby research

claire_r

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. Oops! I mean first time to post. I am getting a 29 g tank for FOWLR. I've been reading this board and a book from my LSF called the New Marine Aquarium, researching for a couple weeks.
I plan on having 2 ocellaris, a royal gramma, a neon goby, a watchman goby, and a pair of banggai cardinals. Do you think this is an ok load? For inverts I'm looking at cleaner shrimp, snails, a crab - maybe emerald, red-legged hermits. Am I on the right track?
I had a couple of other ???? I want to use live sand, but am on a budget. Could I use a base of aragonite with a layer of LS on top? Also, do I need LR, protein skimmer, and a power filter?
Thanks, guys! I'm hooked on this board now!:happyfish :happyfish

lefty

Welcome to the boards! Great place, isn't it? :D
I think six fish is a bit too many for a 29g. I would go with four (if it were me, I'd ditch the cardinals. But I'd say just cross out the ones that are your least favorite of the bunch). You could probably go with five, but for a 29g, four is a much more comfortable number. I'd say you're definitely on the right track! =)
Lots of people seed live sand in with non-live sand. =)
Live rock definitely has benefits. It looks great, gives the fish a natural environment, and works as a natural filter. Although it's expensive, I think it's well worth the price. You could just start with a few pounds at first and just add to it whenever your budget allows. You don't need a protein skimmer, although it is recommended. As long as you have a good filter (I would recommend a power filter), live rock, and you maintain your tank, you should be just fine without one.
Hope this helps! :D
-lefty

claire_r

Thanks, Lefty!
I think you're right about the cardinals. I want the fish to have the best chance, so 4 seems like a better way to go. Thanks for the advice about the filters. I can't wait to get started getting the tank and starting the setup!
claire_r

timo

Those gobies need the live sand and quickly will eat themselves out of a home. I'd ditch them.
No tank "needs" LR... it looks great, aids in many filtration processes, and harbors foodstuffs for many fish. Don't forget, that as your budget allows, you may add (cured) rock to your tank.
As for a skimmer, think of balancing filtration needs. For as many fish as you want, and not that much rock, I'd say yes.
Remember to add fish slowly (a few weeks in-between, unless you're adding a pair), and add the less aggressive first.
You're on the right track.

lefty

Originally posted by TimO
Those gobies need the live sand and quickly will eat themselves out of a home. I'd ditch them.
No tank "needs" LR... it looks great, aids in many filtration processes, and harbors foodstuffs for many fish. Don't forget, that as your budget allows, you may add (cured) rock to your tank.
As for a skimmer, think of balancing filtration needs. For as many fish as you want, and not that much rock, I'd say yes.
Remember to add fish slowly (a few weeks in-between, unless you're adding a pair), and add the less aggressive first.
You're on the right track.

If you seed live sand with non-live sand, won't it all eventually become live? Also, if you're worried about the gobies eating all the food, you can always feed them yourself.
-lefty

claire_r

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate all the info. I'm planning to start with the 2 clowns, and I like the idea of starting with some live rock and adding as I can. Now I just need to make room for my tank so I can get started.
claire_r :cheer: