News

jkvjl

Thing I have learned from watching the news on TV during the last eight
- days
- The hurricane only hit black families' property.
- New Orleans was devastated and no other city was affected by the
- hurricane.
- Mississippi is reported to have a tree blown down.
- New Orleans has no white people.
- The hurricane blew a limb off a tree in the yard of an Alabama
resident.-
- When you are hungry after a hurricane, steal a big screen TV.
- The hurricane did 23 billion dollars in improvements to New Orleans:
now-
- the city is welfare, looters and gang free and they are in your city.
- White folks don't make good news stories.
- Don't give thanks to the thousands that came to help rescue you,
instead,
-

[hr]
because the government hasn't given you a debit card yet.
- Only black family members got separated in the hurricane rescue
efforts.-
- Ignore warnings to evacuate and the white folks will come get you and
- give you money for being stupid.
- I feel so sorry for all those black folks.- The only way it could have
- been worse was to be white.

lovethesea

The ones that couldn't leave had no choice. BUT, the folks that should have left and we know they all had cars because we all see them now, these folks maybe could have helped the less fortunate get out. It would have been the neighborly thing to do don't you think.

celacanthr

yep, would've been a very nice thing, but do you think they wouldve gone up to a hobo and said "wanna drive with us over 10 hours to our destination?

lovethesea

not saying a "hobo". The people that were in homes, and knew their neighbors (in homes)
had no trasnprotation, ill health etc.

lovethesea

well, to be honest, I think they somehow made it to the dome/convention center. So they were taken care of. If the people that SHOULD have left...did leave......then there would have only been a small number to actually help leave to higher ground many miles inland. IMO the Super Dome and Convetion centers were death traps. Had Katrina really set her mind to NO, they would have gotten her 40 ft wall of water. There would have been much more devistation.......basically what we see in Biloxi, but on a much bigger scale.

jkvjl

There's a story in the paper today were some of the 2,500 people brought here from the hurricane to my state. A lady got a 2,000$ debit card what do you think this homeless lady did with her Debit card? How about buy a 800$ pocket book.

lovethesea

A friend of mine sent me this the other day.................
Posted By Andy Wise
FEMA/Red Cross Kill Katrina Debit Card Program; Cite Red Tape & Abuse
Sep 14, 2005, 04:41 PM CDT Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version
MEMPHIS -- Designer jeans, high heels and purses -- not exactly what the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the American Red Cross had in mind.
But that's what a few News Channel 3 viewers claim they saw Hurricane Katrina survivors purchase with their $2,000 emergency debit cards. One Katrina victim was spotted at a Cordova clothier buying stacks of $65 designer jeans. Another viewer reported spotting a survivor buying "over $700 in high heel shoes and purses" at a Memphis department store "while (her) younger children, most of them looked under the age of 3, looked like they haven't showered in weeks."
So FEMA officially killed the debit card program Sunday, Sept. 11.
"The debit card was a pilot program intended just for the sheltered victims in Texas and only for a limited duration," said FEMA spokesperson Barbara Ellis. "It was implemented to address the evacuees' immediate emergency needs -- food, clothing, shelter."
Bill Hildebrandt, CEO of the Mid-South chapter of the American Red Cross, said the cards were coded to block purchases of alcohol or guns. But when it came to clothes, anything goes.
"If they make an inappropriate decision as to what to purchase, the whole issue of victims' rights comes into play," said Hildebrandt. "They have a right, I guess, to be inappropriate."
Hildebrandt conceded that the purchases could be traced, but he said if the receipts just said "shirt" or "jeans" or "clothes," there would be nothing the Red Cross could do. He said the Mid-South chapter stopped using the cards because the process became too cumbersome.
Katrina victims still seeking financial assistance at chapter headquarters, 1400 Central Avenue in Midtown Memphis, were waiting on checks or direct deposit instead of debit cards. Victims like Katrina McDowell of Folsom, Louisiana -- who said she lost everything in the hurricane that bears her name -- said there's really no stopping someone who wants to abuse the generosity of Red Cross donors.
"If they are still getting the cash, they're going to spend the money on whatever they want anyway still, so how would you stop it?" she asked.
Ellis said FEMA issued about 10,500 cards in the pilot program, with a total value of $20,598,000. Hildebrandt said some Red Cross chapters are still using the cards.