Next fish??

mel0508

We were wondering what others thought might be a good next addition to our tank. Here is what we have:
A 55 gallon tank with live rock, 2 green chromis (1 died yesterday), 1 fuzzy dwarf lion, one gold stripe maroon clown, and 3 mexican turbo snails. We had a flame hawk for 24 hours, but he did not acclimate to the water and died and then we had a Kole tang that apparently had ich or something and died after a week. We have had the LFS test our water and it is all within normal limits, but we are letting the tank sit for a week or so to even out whatever is going on.
The LFS told us that the problem with all the dying could be that our gold stripe maroon could possibly be bullying the other fish in the tank and if they were stressed or already not adjusted then that could be why they died. Who knows, but I am curious what else might go in with this guy. He seems quite territorial right now. I think the fuzzy dwarf got his bluff in early and the clown really leaves him alone. (Not that there is a lot of bluff to him...I wouldn't mess with him either.)
So, just curious...any suggestions?
Thanks

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by mel0508
We were wondering what others thought might be a good next addition to our tank. Here is what we have:
A 55 gallon tank with live rock, 2 green chromis (1 died yesterday), 1 fuzzy dwarf lion, one gold stripe maroon clown, and 3 mexican turbo snails. We had a flame hawk for 24 hours, but he did not acclimate to the water and died and then we had a Kole tang that apparently had ich or something and died after a week. We have had the LFS test our water and it is all within normal limits, but we are letting the tank sit for a week or so to even out whatever is going on.
The LFS told us that the problem with all the dying could be that our gold stripe maroon could possibly be bullying the other fish in the tank and if they were stressed or already not adjusted then that could be why they died. Who knows, but I am curious what else might go in with this guy. He seems quite territorial right now. I think the fuzzy dwarf got his bluff in early and the clown really leaves him alone. (Not that there is a lot of bluff to him...I wouldn't mess with him either.)
So, just curious...any suggestions?
Thanks
Sounds to me like the Maroon is definitly causing some issues. It is a very aggressive fish and all the ones that have passed are peaceful.
If I were you, I would add a pygmy angel in there. I really like the Potters Angel or a Singapore Angel. This will allow the maroon to settle down as there is another dominant fish in the tank.

rudedog40

I've got a Hawaiian Spotted Puffer with my green chromis. I doubt the clown or lion would mess wth it. You can search here regarding whether the puffer would pick on the lion. You could also go with a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel. Problem with the maroon clown is they normally suggest you make that one of your last fish to put in your tank. Better to go from least aggressive (chromis, Royal Gramma, goby, etc.) to more aggressive (maroon clown, Coral Beauty, etc.) when putting new fish in a tank.

mel0508

We are realizing, now, that we should have put the maroon in last, but the LFS did not tell us that. They seemed to think that it would be fine...so, now we have all these dying fish and a really aggressive clown. I think we might look at a dwarf angel. We had talked about that, but weren't sure.
Thanks for the suggestions. We don't want a tank with only the clown and a lion, so we might look into moving the clown to his own tank.
If anyone else has any suggestions, we are all ears.
Thanks

rudedog40

You could QT the maroon clown for a few weeks, put in the less aggressive fish you want, let them get settled in, the put the maroon back into your DT. Also, do you have an anemone for the clown to host in? If so, I've read here that maroons get REAL aggressive towards anything that comes near their anemone. The question would be if you don't have an anemone, and you added one, would the clown just stick to his 'home' and not harass the other fish (unless they come near)?

mel0508

We do not have an anemone for the clown. Everything the LFS is telling us now is that if we got one, it might make him even more territorial than he already is. They did say that we could, maybe, get another maroon and yellow (smaller) and see if we confused it into a girl, but that this could make her more aggressive and territorial. Not sure, still, what to do.

alex4286

We are realizing, now, that we should have put the maroon in last, but the LFS did not tell us that. They seemed to think that it would be fine...so, now we have all these dying fish and a really aggressive clown. I think we might look at a dwarf angel. We had talked about that, but weren't sure.
Thanks for the suggestions. We don't want a tank with only the clown and a lion, so we might look into moving the clown to his own tank.
If anyone else has any suggestions, we are all ears.
Thanks
Well in all fairness the LFS shouldn't have to tell you that, in less you asked. They can't expect to tell everyone who asks to purchase a fish every single aspect about the fish inless asked. If you spotted something you liked, you should of wrote it down and did research and then come back with confidence. You can't just trust their knowledge either. Thats why this site is such a great tool for questions and answers.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Alex4286
Well in all fairness the LFS shouldn't have to tell you that, in less you asked. They can't expect to tell everyone who asks to purchase a fish every single aspect about the fish inless asked. If you spotted something you liked, you should of wrote it down and did research and then come back with confidence. You can't just trust their knowledge either. Thats why this site is such a great tool for questions and answers.
Well put. I do more homework before buying an unfamiliar fish than I do a new car.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by Alex4286

It's 'unless', not 'in less'.
Why shouldn't the LFS know what they're selling to the customer? When I looked at a maroon clown, the first thing they told me was "Maroon's are a very aggressive fish. They will dominate the tank and be mean to any other new fish put in. I'd wait to add this fish last if you really want one." I agree that's it wise to research the species you want to add before making a purchase (make sure it's compatible with existing tank mates, recommended size of tank for species, what it eats, etc.). But if you're going to a reputable store that deals with saltwater fish, they should at least know the basic characteristics of the fish they're selling. Granted there are exceptions to the rule (*****, Petsmart, any chain pet store). If your LFS can't provide this basic information, I'd find another store.

mel0508

So, does anyone think that I am going to continue to have trouble adding new fish? Should I get him his own tank or take him back and get other fish, then get him? My tank is looking a little bare. AND...now the two chromis that are left are starting to fight. I know they are schooling fish, but their weakest one died last night.
As far as our LFS goes, I have found that because we live in a college town, most of the workers are college kids and I feel that they sometimes tell me what I want to hear. I did research the maroon before we bought him, but they never said to add him last. The owner, his wife, and one other guy there seem to be the most knowledgable at the store and we have been dealing with them now.

rudedog40

I think it has something to do with 55 tanks (a little pun here). I have a 55 like you, and so far I've only been able to keep two fish in my tank. I got 3 green chromis first (two died 3 days later). I then got the Puffer. Those two lasted fine together for a month. For the next 2 months, I tried a Christmas Wrasse (dies 3 days after I put him in), a Royal Gramma (died 1 week after going in), a maroon clown (had Brookynella, died 1 week after I put him in), a Firefish goby (think SFE ate him after 2 days), and now I have a 1" blue hippo whose been in for a week and a half, but I'm battling ich, and now he has pop-eye in one eye (looks like a monacle). I've checked and re-checked all my parameters (ammonia, trates, trites, Ph, SG, calcium, magnesium, copper... pick one), and they're all fine. The only thing that does seem to stay healthy are my inverts and my SFE (he's been in over a month now). So if you can figure out how to keep more than 2 fish in your tank, let me know.

mel0508

WOW!! That stinks. I read somewhere that it really isn't a good idea to try and put a lot of fish in with the clown, but I would never have guessed that he needed to be a loner. My snails and coral are doing okay. All though, I had one snail die last week. ( I think we traumatized him by moving his favorite rock for cleaning)
Well, I think we are going to wait until next week and maybe try a fish that is larger or at least as big as the maroon. We also talked about maybe getting rid of the chromis because we noticed them starting to pick on the maroon last night. Who knows. It seems like somewhat of a guessing game at this point.
Thanks.

mcbdz

I've never had luck with chromis, but I have heard they need to be feed like 3-4x's a day to survive, and odd numbers.
I think you either, need to put the clown in qt, own tank or trade at lfs until you have stocked your other fish.
And the most important thing to do first IMHO is to get the test kits and test your water yourself. It is best also, to post your numbers up here and not that they are normal. Sometimes there will be a little variance in numbers that if all viewed together someone on here may pick upon.
Also maybe just step back and wait awhile and let your tank mature a little longer.
Oh yeah, list how you acclimate these fish.

mel0508

We have test kits and have been doing our own testing. The LFS asked us to bring a sample in after the chromis died. Our water was tested yesterday, but I don't remember what the numbers were. I guess before I post anything else, I will test the water.
We are going to wait until next week to even talk about getting another fish. We decided we just need to be patient and wait a little while and do some more research on what we want next.
Thanks for all the helpful options, though.

farslayer

We have test kits and have been doing our own testing. The LFS asked us to bring a sample in after the chromis died. Our water was tested yesterday, but I don't remember what the numbers were. I guess before I post anything else, I will test the water.
We are going to wait until next week to even talk about getting another fish. We decided we just need to be patient and wait a little while and do some more research on what we want next.
Thanks for all the helpful options, though.
You've just taken the best approach possible. Keep up that mindset and you're going to do just fine

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Farslayer
You've just taken the best approach possible. Keep up that mindset and you're going to do just fine

I agree. I think there's more going on than a nasty maroon clown. I love these fish, especially the goldstripe; and they can be a pain. But; if they are going after a fish, they just do it; not sneaky in the dead of night attacks. IMO, they are more territorial than aggressive and if they have a 55 all to themselves; that's their territory and newcomers are invaders. I think they do much better when they are the last fish to go in a tank, they're forced to find a smaller territory and will usually not attack outside of it. This assumes that other fish are of compatible size.

mel0508

We have been looking at the Coral Beauty at the LFS. It is about the same size as the clown and he seems pretty healthy. What do you think about this being the next fish?
As of today, the four fish in the tank are getting along fine. No fights that we have noticed. Of course, no one really messes with fuzzy. (Lion) And Bob (clown) seems to be settling down. But I don't know if that is because we haven't added anything and things are status quo.