next step???

ekid2

Thanks for everyones help so far. I have my 29 gal tank running for three days with nothing in it. I have 10 lbs of sand and 20 lbs of live argonite (sp) and 12 lbs of live rock that has been curing since last night. I have read about cycling the tank through previouse posts and I've gathered my next step should be...
1st... Put in some of the uncured rock to start cycling the tank
2nd... Put the sand around the rock
3rd... Put the argonite on top of the sand
Does this all sound correct... I just wanted to double check before I made my move... Thank you

littlebuck

Do you have water and salt in your tank? If so yes i would put the LR in there and then spread the LS around the LR i place my lr on the very bottom of my tank touching the glass so people dont i guess its up to you. Also go to the store and buy a shrimp like the one you eat and put it in there to help speed up the cycle.

littlebuck

after look at you other post i see you do have the water /salt mix in your tank. I dont know what LFS told you all of this stuff but you do not want to put anything in your tank untill it cycles or else you will kill everything and waste your money. And the thing about not putting corals or anything on sand or the lr is wrong how would you put it on the glass? So you might want to check before you get anything. TANK YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!Its gonig to take atleast 4 weeks to cycle with nothing in ur tank except LR and LS

ekid2

That helps a bunch.... Should I put all of my live rock in. Or just a piece? The live rock needs to be on the glass bottom correct?

littlebuck

since you dont have anything in there put it all in and also the sand too yes i would put the lr on the glass

scotts

First off Welcome to the board. :happyfish So I read your others posts and you are definitely doing the right thing by coming here for advice and not listening to your lfs. I did that and literally poured money into my tank that I did not need to. This post might help you out. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80022 Especially the threads in post number 2. A couple of other things, say hello to my little friend...the search button. It is at the top right of this screen and I would recommend that you do a search for cycle and/or cycling. The reason I suggest this is that you may find answers to questions that you did not even know to ask.
Now for the last thing then I will shut up. Research EVERYTHING before you buy it. On impulse I bought a beautiful 3" fish. Then later I found this board and learned to research and I found out this fish changes colors and grew to about 18" long.
HTH, I will get off my saop box now.

Scott

drose

If you want a deep sand bed, I recommend putting base rock on the bottom glass, then sand, then live rock on top. Seems silly to spend all that money on live rock then bury half of it under sand!

three boys

Scotts--I agree w/you
. Funny to see a Steelers fan where you are! Go Steelers--hopefully they will play better tomorrow!