NFL Draft 2008

mike22cha

Well I don't think my Chargers are in dire need on anything since we're the most talented 53 man roster.

But I'd love for us to get a new coach, or even better bring Marty back.
I also don't see too much talent in this years draft, but I'm sad that some of OU's key players are leaving.
But if the San Diego Chargers needed anything, a better offensive line and maybe secondary would be good.

reefraff

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2458830
I heard a rumor that Dallas was going to send Marion Barber to Miami in exchange for Darren McFadden as the first pick. Barber is a good back, but McFadden is something special (and I know that first hand since he scorched my Gamecocks 3 years in a row). I think he has as much or more potential than Reggie Bush had (though Bush hasn't done much in the NFL so far).
I'm a Panthers fan, so I would like to see them get McFadden or the RB from Central Florida. probably not going to happen. but this draft is stacked with good RBs, so I'd like to see them get a good one to have him and DeAngelo Williams so they can send DeShaun Foster packing. they also need to dump David Carr and get a solid understudy for Delhomme. as good as Dan Morgan is when he's healthy, he's rarely healthy. so we could use a stud LB as well.
There are going to be some good QB to pick from.
The fins would have to be on crack to trade for Barber. They are a few years away from any kind of a real turn around. They should stay young.

mike22cha

Is Moss seriously becoming a free agent? I didn't find anything about it on espn.com
If he did then sounds like a great investment for my Chargers, well basicly what team doesn't want him?
I personaly like the idea of him leaving, I mean whatever weakens the Pat's gives my Chargers a bettter chance next year.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2458757
I don't think you need a RB Aqua, I would take Marshawn Lynch and be very happy.
Eh, not too sure. Lynch is pretty good, but I see an issue with his durability. A two back setup would work pretty good in Buffalo, and my pipe dream is of course Buffalo scores 24k, Kevin Smith, from UCF. That would be great.

happyvac

http:///forum/post/2458770
A RB!!!!! What happened did Jones and Marion Barber retire??
Nope (although trust me, there are a lot of 'Boys fans who think he should).
JJ's production has gone downhill. We had a lot of hope for him at the beginning of the season, since he claimed that Parcells' leaving would let him run in his own style, and his production would therefore go up...wrong. We just haven't seen anything special from him. I think his season average is something like 3.5 whereas MB is averaging 4.8 or so. Not that 3.5 is necessarily terrible production, but he doesn't seem to have his head in the game anymore.
MB3 is a great RB but his running style is so confrontational and he runs so hard that he performs better in a 2-back system. I'd like to see us draft an agile RB to capitalize on a defense that has hopefully been worn down by Barber, but some would want us to draft another MB-like mow-'em-down back to just run over the defense after Barber.
I really doubt we'd trade Barber for McFadden, the guy is unproven in the NFL, and Barber...well, he's proven himself and more. Plus, taking a guy like McFadden who's sure to be at the very least a top 5 pick would hit our salary cap pretty hard, and we've got other positions to shore up. Nah, let another more desperate team take him. Remember Reggie Bush? Not a bust...yet...but he's running out of time. (I'm not saying that Darren McFadden will be bad, I'm saying that it's just too big a risk to take a player like that when frankly the franchise only needs some work at a few positions)
Of course, none of us have any real say in the matter. Who knows, JJ has made some crazy moves (some bad, some good) in the past.
Oh yeah, rivals.com has us picking CB then WR in the 1st (Jenkins then Manningham) which I wouldn't really mind.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by HappyVac
http:///forum/post/2458950
Nope (although trust me, there are a lot of 'Boys fans who think he should).
JJ's production has gone downhill. We had a lot of hope for him at the beginning of the season, since he claimed that Parcells' leaving would let him run in his own style, and his production would therefore go up...wrong. We just haven't seen anything special from him. I think his season average is something like 3.5 whereas MB is averaging 4.8 or so. Not that 3.5 is necessarily terrible production, but he doesn't seem to have his head in the game anymore.
MB3 is a great RB but his running style is so confrontational and he runs so hard that he performs better in a 2-back system. I'd like to see us draft an agile RB to capitalize on a defense that has hopefully been worn down by Barber, but some would want us to draft another MB-like mow-'em-down back to just run over the defense after Barber.
I really doubt we'd trade Barber for McFadden, the guy is unproven in the NFL, and Barber...well, he's proven himself and more. Plus, taking a guy like McFadden who's sure to be at the very least a top 5 pick would hit our salary cap pretty hard, and we've got other positions to shore up. Nah, let another more desperate team take him. Remember Reggie Bush? Not a bust...yet...but he's running out of time. (I'm not saying that Darren McFadden will be bad, I'm saying that it's just too big a risk to take a player like that when frankly the franchise only needs some work at a few positions)
Of course, none of us have any real say in the matter. Who knows, JJ has made some crazy moves (some bad, some good) in the past.
Oh yeah, rivals.com has us picking CB then WR in the 1st (Jenkins then Manningham) which I wouldn't really mind.
#1 Barber and Julius Jones are the best 1-2 punch in the league, but you are right JJ is on the downward slide.
#2 Jerry Jones would still trade Barber in a heartbeat for D-Mac., whom has more "up-side" than any back to come into the league in a long time....It won't happen because they would need to give up more than Barber to do it.

pontius

http:///forum/post/2459022
#1 Barber and Julius Jones are the best 1-2 punch in the league, but you are right JJ is on the downward slide.
#2 Jerry Jones would still trade Barber in a heartbeat for D-Mac., whom has more "up-side" than any back to come into the league in a long time....It won't happen because they would need to give up more than Barber to do it.

#1. I don't agree. maybe if this was the same JJ from his rookie season, but it ain't. I feel that AP and Chester Taylor are far and away the best 1-2 in the league. and Fred Taylor/Maurice Jones-Drew ain't bad. then you've got an up and coming 1-2 punch that just beat the Pats in the Superbowl. then you have #1s who are so far ahead of Barber (like LT and Addai) that them and their #2s more than outshine Dallas'. nah, I think Dallas has about the 5th or 6th best 1-2 punch in the league.
#2 I agree that Jones would give up Barber for McFadden in a minute. if you're going to use Bush as a "downside" example, then you also have to use Adrian Peterson as an "upside" example for McFadden. McFadden had no big injuries in college either and I always felt he was better than AP and equal to Bush (in college football). I've honestly been disappointed in Bush in the NFL, because he was so special in college. but I really think McFadden could've started in the NFL when he was a sophomore. I agree about the salary cap thing though.

happyvac

#1 Yeah, it's definitely AP and Chester Taylor. Then Jacksonville, then maybe Giants, although I think Dallas' is ahead of them.
#2 Would he give up Barber alone? Probably. But no way would we be able to make that trade. They would want a whole lot more than that and I doubt he would be willing to do that. No, I'd rather we take a RB from the draft. I cross my fingers for Stewart, but we almost definitely will not get a crack at him.

pontius

http:///forum/post/2459067
#1 Yeah, it's definitely AP and Chester Taylor. Then Jacksonville, then maybe Giants, although I think Dallas' is ahead of them.
#2 Would he give up Barber alone? Probably. But no way would we be able to make that trade. They would want a whole lot more than that and I doubt he would be willing to do that. No, I'd rather we take a RB from the draft. I cross my fingers for Stewart, but we almost definitely will not get a crack at him.

I was right. I looked at the season stats. Vikings and Jacksonville are 1 and 2. Giants are #4. Dallas was way down around #15. Steelers were 3rd, which I kind of found surprising. Vikings only averaged 4 more runs a game than Dallas, but averaged 60 more yards.
I think he would give up Barber and maybe a 2, 3, or 4 pick. and some money. if that were the case, I think he'd be wise to do it. I think a lot of people underestimate McFadden because he played at Arkansas. Bush played for USC and AP played for Oklahoma so they both got a lot more exposure. but McFadden has as much upside as I've seen in a long long time. he's the type that you can definitely build a team around.

happyvac

http:///forum/post/2459069
I was right. I looked at the season stats. Vikings and Jacksonville are 1 and 2. Giants are #4. Dallas was way down around #15. Steelers were 3rd, which I kind of found surprising. Vikings only averaged 4 more runs a game than Dallas, but averaged 60 more yards.
I think he would give up Barber and maybe a 2, 3, or 4 pick. and some money. if that were the case, I think he'd be wise to do it. I think a lot of people underestimate McFadden because he played at Arkansas. Bush played for USC and AP played for Oklahoma so they both got a lot more exposure. but McFadden has as much upside as I've seen in a long long time. he's the type that you can definitely build a team around.
What, we're really that low? Guess I was way wrong.
Errrr I still don't like the idea of McFadden. Don't get me wrong, the dude is very
promising. But the fact remains that Dallas is not a team in dire straits, we've already got a legit pass game with TO, Witten, Romo. The ground is not our #1 weapon. I'm convinced that the team only needs a few changes made to truly be SB-caliber, not a superstar to build around.
Not really related to the draft, but I heard somewhere that Detroit was willing to take a 2nd round pick for Roy Williams, and we all know Williams has expressed some interest in combing back to Texas...

pontius

http:///forum/post/2459081
Not really related to the draft, but I heard somewhere that Detroit was willing to take a 2nd round pick for Roy Williams, and we all know Williams has expressed some interest in combing back to Texas...

I don't think that would work with TO there, they would kill each other. but TO is getting up in age. I would almost be willing to give Barber and TO for McFadden if I could get Roy Williams for a 2nd round pick, just because TO is getting up in age and Williams is still young. but I dont' think Parcells would take TO under any circumstance. if they could work a way to send Barber and Roy Williams (the receiver) to Miami for McFadden and a 2nd round pick though, and still retain their #1 pick, that would be very worth it for both Dallas and Miami.

happyvac

http:///forum/post/2459112
I don't think that would work with TO there, they would kill each other. but TO is getting up in age. I would almost be willing to give Barber and TO for McFadden if I could get Roy Williams for a 2nd round pick, just because TO is getting up in age and Williams is still young. but I dont' think Parcells would take TO under any circumstance. if they could work a way to send Barber and Roy Williams (the receiver) to Miami for McFadden and a 2nd round pick though, and still retain their #1 pick, that would be very worth it for both Dallas and Miami.
Once again, not too high on McFadden...
...I do, however, think that TO has a few good years left in him. He's only 34, and is still a quick healer (who has minimal injury problems) and the fact that he is a workout freak (as Jerry Rice was) will lengthen his career. He showed this season that he's still got the physical ability to make plays.
And the trade you're outlining is essentially Barber + WR Williams for McFadden. That's a very, very risky trade. Those are 2 Pro-Bowlers for an unproven rookie (because that's what he is)
I think our posts are going to be the same thing back and forth...you like McFadden, but whenever I see a high-draft RB I think Reggie Bush and Ricky Williams...just goes to show you, different strokes for different folks.

pontius

http:///forum/post/2459132
And the trade you're outlining is essentially Barber + WR Williams for McFadden. That's a very, very risky trade. Those are 2 Pro-Bowlers for an unproven rookie (because that's what he is)
not really, because Dallas would still retain their 1st round pick. Barber's been solid, but he's not exactly lit the world on fire. he hasn't had a 1000 yard season despite being in the league for 3 years.
in 3 years in the SEC, McFadden had over 4600 rushing yards at about 5.6 yards a carry and he's not injury prone. I'd take that risk anyday.

happyvac

http:///forum/post/2459144
not really, because Dallas would still retain their 1st round pick. Barber's been solid, but he's not exactly lit the world on fire. he hasn't had a 1000 yard season despite being in the league for 3 years.
in 3 years in the SEC, McFadden had over 4600 rushing yards at about 5.6 yards a carry and he's not injury prone. I'd take that risk anyday.
He's also been sharing carries all 3 years. Didn't he share carries in college as well? He fits into that kind of a system. Also, the 1,000 yard stat is kind of misleading, he had 975 yards this year. And 4.8 YPC.
At any rate, I'm going to bed. Time will tell for McFadden...

pontius

http:///forum/post/2459149
He's also been sharing carries all 3 years. Didn't he share carries in college as well? He fits into that kind of a system. Also, the 1,000 yard stat is kind of misleading, he had 975 yards this year. And 4.8 YPC.
At any rate, I'm going to bed. Time will tell for McFadden...
McFadden also shared carries with Felix Jones (who would probably be a 1st round pick as well). if not, he would have got over 6000 yards in 3 years. and that's playing in the toughest conference in college football. McFadden is probably the safest bet in years.