NFL Draft

scubadoo

On paper iit is my ex-home and the team I pull for. Players like Bush do not come around often. I am amazed the Texans passed on Bush...might be the most idiotic draft fumble of all-time.
Of couse....time will tell...Bush could be a bust but it is not likely....too much natual ability and talent.
Lineart dropped so low because he cannot make all the nfl throws. While he is a good and solid college QB...he does not have the big time cannon which means there are certain throws he cannot make in the nfl.
Young has the arm and the raw talent to make all the throws...plus he gives you the one thing nfl defenses are not geared to stop...a QB that can run.
After watching Lineart out here in the PAC 10 almost weekly on TV...I am convinced his arm is not the strongest...but he is a solid QB.
Let the games begin..
JMO

reefraff

I think Leinart will produce in the NFL as a starting QB LONG before Young will. Young's side arm passes wont cut it in the pros. I think Young has a chance to be very good in the pros but it will take some work. The titans also nabbed Lindale White who might be the bargain of the draft. I'm just glad my raiders got Huff and I don't have to root for Bush playing for the Texans:)

ruaround

I think the Texans did the right thing by getting super Mario... he will be the foundation for much much needed defense... Bush is a great player but will he be durable in his multiple roles... Time will tell...

lion_crazz

I think the Saints lucked out in getting such a magnificent player in Reggie Bush. Players like that only come around once every 10 years. I think Bush will be the next Barry Sanders. I think that was a huge mistake on the part of the Texans. Hopefully Mario Williams works out for them though.
I think the Titans did very well if Vince Young and Lendale White can pan out to be productive players.
I think the Cardinals will have an incredible offense now, with Leinart going there. Finally, someone who can throw the ball to Boldin and Fitzgerald. And then you have Edge to take the pressure off the pass. That will work out nice. Now, Dennis Green just needs to get a better OL in Arizona for them. I also think Leinart will be much more productive than Vince Young. I have no doubt that Leinart was the best QB in the draft.
I think Denver made a very stupid first round draft pick when they took Jay Cutler, however, they made out very well in getting Javon Walker from the Packers. I just don't understand why they needed Cutler when they have Plummer. If anything, they should have moved up to the 6th spot and got Vernon Davis. That guy is going to be a beast and could have been their long-sought replacement for Shannon Sharpe.
I also think the Eagles did very well in getting both Broderick Bunkley and Winston Justice. I could not believe Justice slipped down to the 2nd round.
I was a little disappointed with Dallas' draft. Last years draft was incredible for them, and this years was just okay. I really wish Miami would have not taken Jason Allen and let him slip 2 spots to Dallas. He would have been the perfect compliment to Roy Williams.

darth tang

Atleast Dallas adressed the loss of Dat. In the 3/4 you need two middle linebackers that are good.....this actually helps us out a lot. Tight end second round was decent, but I would have placed more emphasis on saftey that round instead.

hops523

It all depends. In my opinion probably the saints, but the cordinals got lucky that they got matt leinart 10th overall, with him passing it to larry fitzgerald and handing it off to edgerrin james. But also you could argue thta the broncos got a really good pick too jay cutler, and they traded almost nothing and they got javon walker the wide receiver from green bay. But overall not just in the 1st round I think the titans got the best deal with vince young and lendale white.

lion_crazz

I really can't see how Denver justifies taking Jay Cutler when they have Jake Plummer. Plummer had an MVP-like season last year, and took the team all the way to the AFC championship. He may have had an off game in the championship, but there's no reason to blame that on Plummer. Maybe they should look at improving their offensive line, or get a wide receiver (like they did, Javon Walker), or move up and get a replacement to Shannon Sharpe (Vernon Davis).

darth tang

Cutler is a future quarterback. I don't foresee him in the starting line up for a couple years. Plummer has a few more good years. Denver was just looking ahead I believe. Plus learning from Plummer will help Cutler a lot.
Lienart also won't start right away. The job is Warner's. however Denny has a history of having to use multiple quarterbacks in a season with some success. They lost McCown and had no one behind Warner. They needed a quarterback but he won't be the starter unless Warner goes down again......so we will see Lienart play week 6 most likely. But with a decent running game, mayube the pressure will be off warner a bit more and he will keep himself healthy. Arizona is looking good this offseason.

nflnutswif

I think the Texans did exactly what they should have. I'm going to be curious to see how Saints PAY for Bush, I believe he'll be a bit of a hold out. :thinking:

stanlalee

you know even if Bush is the next Barry Sanders the Texans are the next Detroit and with all Barry's talent he couldn't make Detroit a good team. I still think Texas made a mistake and it has nothing to do with talent. Texas already has the cowboys and without a superstar they are becoming the old clippers of football. Even if he's a buss people want to see how Bush is going to do. How many times has anybody outside of Texas seen the Texans on TV, probably once or never? If they want defense they should have picked up some proven talent from free agency. I know nobody probably wants to go there but they must have tons of money under the cap with their roster.
I'm not suprised with the Titans pick, McNair use to be quite the escape artist himself and didn't come out as a great thrower.

crox

[QUOTE=Stanlalee How many times has anybody outside of Texas seen the Texans on TV, probably once or never?
I did once. Against the Jets.

crox

I believe the Texans were so stupid to don't take Bush. Ho wcan you pass something like that. It only happens once in a lifetime!!!

ruaround

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
you know even if Bush is the next Barry Sanders the Texans are the next Detroit and with all Barry's talent he couldn't make Detroit a good team. I still think Texas made a mistake and it has nothing to do with talent. Texas already has the cowboys and without a superstar they are becoming the old clippers of football. Even if he's a buss people want to see how Bush is going to do. How many times has anybody outside of Texas seen the Texans on TV, probably once or never? If they want defense they should have picked up some proven talent from free agency. I know nobody probably wants to go there but they must have tons of money under the cap with their roster.
I'm not suprised with the Titans pick, McNair use to be quite the escape artist himself and didn't come out as a great thrower.
couldnt disagree more... Detroit made the playoffs several times with Barry... Detroit never had a QB or a Defense... Why would a super star be the difference wether or not someone likes a TEAM (TEAM is the opperative word BTW)... The first 2 seasons of the texans existance they were guarenteed 1 monday night game and 1 sunday night game... so there is atleast 4 times they have been on TV outside of texas... I am a Bucs fan and live in Idaho i have to go to a Bar or get direct TV to see em... unfortunately all we get on regular TV is the freakin Donkeys, Sea Chickens, Chargers or 49'rs... its called regional telecasting... you say they should have picked up a proven defensive player??? so no team should ever draft defense in the first round and miss out on the LT's, the Julious Peppers, the Bruce Smiths, the Warren Sapps, the Derrick Thomas'... that would be brilliant...
Steve McNair in College (and still) was/is refered to as "Air McNair"...he has always had a great arm and could "Air" it out... it didnt take time for him to evolve into a "great thrower"...

stanlalee

In 2005 Tennessee Titans ranked 29 (of 32) in the NFL for allowed yards per game (421 per game) so how is that any different then detroit without a defense? Detroit made the playoffs but never got past the 1rst round except once (his 1rst appearance). You really have to ask why a superstar would make the difference between why someone likes a team or not? Lets see, how many people liked the Orlando Magic when Shaq was there and how often do you hear anybody who likes them now. How many people still have Chicago as their favorite team since Jordan left. You really think San Fransisco has the same fan support they had when Rice and Young and Montana were there? Superstars are what people watch sports for, do you watch to see average players make average plays? Nobody likes or watches teams without superstars hence nobody gives a damn about the Texans now or cares to watch them like they would have if they knew Bush would be playing next year. Texans ARE NOT on TV often, the best you could come up with are 4 appearences with 2 mandated by the NFL. Nobody outside of their state hardly ever see's the Texans, Arizona, Detroit while the whole country see's the Steelers, Cowboys, Colts several times a season even if by accident. Its not just a team its a business which is why the NFL and networks choose the games they chose to be televised. with free agency team concept is just a shell of what it once meant or what it means when money is not involved.
The point is nobody knows if Bush or anybody else in the draft will excel once on the field. The only SURE THING is if they had picked Bush they would have had more fans (as in Bushes fans), more interest in the team, more tickets sold, more TV coverage, more reason for anybody do give a damn that the Texans exist. They win even if they lose with Bush.
And as for McNair I didn't say he couldn't throw but a) he played division 1AA, unproven against higher caliber players. the same thing they are claiming Vince Young will have to overcome. and b) McNairs 3rd season he rushed for 674yrds, 3rd in QB history at the time. He was known for all purpose yards, not just passing, just like Vince Young.

nflnutswif

The point is nobody knows if Bush or anybody else in the draft will excel once on the field. ( best statement yet)The only SURE THING is if they had picked Bush they would have had more fans (as in Bushes fans), more interest in the team, more tickets sold, more TV coverage, more reason for anybody do give a damn that the Texans exist. They win even if they lose with Bush.
The point is: Fans don't win games. All 70,000
plus of us, (#1 merch sales since 2002) have heard every scenario possible, has heard every twisted reason why or why not the Texans did or did not do the right thing. Bottom line is all those Reggie bandwaggoniers that bailed will just as fast pile back on with a few (hey they won) WINS! Happens every draft with every team. I personally am going to put my faith in the hired, paid, experienced people put in place to make those qualified decisions, and hope for the best. Mario Williams and other new drafts seem to be wonderful aquisitions and FIT for our growing team.
Well see. Check out the Houston Texans Message boards (enlightning)

dr. evil

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
On paper iit is my ex-home and the team I pull for. Players like Bush do not come around often. I am amazed the Texans passed on Bush...might be the most idiotic draft fumble of all-time.
Of couse....time will tell...Bush could be a bust but it is not likely....too much natual ability and talent.
Lineart dropped so low because he cannot make all the nfl throws. While he is a good and solid college QB...he does not have the big time cannon which means there are certain throws he cannot make in the nfl.
Young has the arm and the raw talent to make all the throws...plus he gives you the one thing nfl defenses are not geared to stop...a QB that can run.
After watching Lineart out here in the PAC 10 almost weekly on TV...I am convinced his arm is not the strongest...but he is a solid QB.
Let the games begin..
JMO
biggest draft fumble of all? i dont know man remember Eddie George was on the board and the saints took Alex Molden? i thought Buddy D. god rest his soul was gonna have a heart attack and i almost wrecked my car Jim Mora what an idiot.