Nice Triggers

kjr_trig

I am starting to think "reef-safe" is kind of an inappropriate word....There are a lot of Triggers that won't bother corals, they may not even bother crustaceans if your lucky, but that doesn't mean they won't tear apart a small Clown fish just for the helluvit.
Here is my favorite "reef-safe" Trigger.....
Sebastian, my Sargassum Trigger

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2641644
I am starting to think "reef-safe" is kind of an inappropriate word....There are a lot of Triggers that won't bother corals, they may not even bother crustaceans if your lucky, but that doesn't mean they won't tear apart a small Clown fish just for the helluvit.
Right i do believe that i just wont a good looking trigger who wont rip apart anything he can
By the way nice trigger i do like those; Whats the max on him?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
http:///forum/post/2641649
Right i do believe that i just wont a good looking trigger who wont rip apart anything he can
By the way nice trigger i do like those; Whats the max on him?
About a foot in the wild, I expect mine to be around 8 inchs full grown, he is 3+ now.
Originally Posted by Grouperlover

http:///forum/post/2641652
is that the same as a saragrassum trigger
I am going to go with yes, though I have not heard that....They are great fish, lack of availibility is the only drawback, Bluethroat has a similar temperment and is easier to find.

el guapo

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2641644

Awesome picture ! I think I am in love .

myerst22

Yes Zanx. Triggers are reefsafe to a degree. They will eat shrimp, small fish, clams, urchins, snails if they can, and may taste a coral but won't eat your corals. Here is my new crosshatch trigger that is one of the plankton eating triggers. He is in a FOWLR. Here's a few pics of him. Regards, Tim

ccampbell57

I agree that the Male Crosshatch is the best it comes to a reef safe trigger. I love the Sargassum. The crosshatch has unreal coloration as well as a great personality. I am getting a pair for my large tank soon...
R.I.P Scratch

jaymz

I do enjoy my blue jaw/throat/chin trigger.. for being the whale in the tank he is very dosile keeps to himself. my royal gramma like to check him out hopefully they become friends.... all of this is ofcoure so far!

bioneck47

There is no doubt, IMO of course, that the male crosshatch is the most attractive of all triggers, reef safe or not. But the blue throat is the best bang for the buck IMO.

myerst22

If you have a really big tank and want to be the only one on the block with a reef safe trigger than you could always get a Goldenback. Good luck finding a small one or one in general. regards, Tim

aw2x3

Here's my new Crosshatch...already in love with him and have only had him for a about a week and a half...he's a good 10" long and 2" thick.

i hear the rhinecanthus genus is pretty docile, but i may be wrong.... im looking at a rectangle trigger myself for my tank, because of the fact that it might be docile, but with triggers..... every one is different. you can get good ones and bad ones.... my suggestion is to get a small one (hopefully juv) and raise it up in the tank yourself so it can develop good habits rather than buyin a large one that may already come with bad habits.

florabama

The most aggressive fish I have ever had in my 125 was an undulated trigger. I had it for years and it grew to be huge. I finally had to take it out as I could not add any new fish to the tank. One time I added a fairly large lion fish thinking it could protect itself, but it lasted about 60 seconds.

I love the triggers though so I may have to try that Crosshatch. Thanks for the info!