niger trigger and pixy hawkfish

crabbychris

I have a friend that wants to get out of the hobby and wants to give me his trigger and hawk. I did a little reading and some people report that they are safe with shrimp and inverts as long as they are fed properly and other say NO! Does anyone here have experience with these fish in a reef?

stanlalee

no way in hell I would add them if I had shrimp I valued (the hell with snails and crabs). NEITHER is beyond wiping out all your inverts but as usual many people have them without issue. If you do attempt it just dont be suprised if they make snacks out of the inverts. the hawkfish aint beyond harrassing them just for fun even if it isn't going to eat them.

I have a Niger in a reef with snails, crabs, peppermint shrimp, coral banded,tons of inverts. He has never touched one. Not saying they are a sure fire thing, but if you want a trigger they are one of the few considered to be reef compatible. IMO they are worth the risk. And if all else fails they are easy to catch and re-locate unlike a damsel.

dkw27

I also have a Niger in my tank and he hasn't harm anything or anyone....He's a good fish....I don't know about the foxface though..