Niger Trigger found dead this morning

brielleanne93

Hi all, I have had this beautiful fish for about 4 months now and he always seemed to do great! He was swimming around and always came up to see me. Within the past few days he started to lay on the rocks as he usually does when he sleeps and not move, not even to eat! I checked the levels and my ph was pretty low so I did a water change and the levels were perfect. This was about 3 days ago. I found him dead this morning, could that have just stressed him out enough?

dmanatee

What size tank was he in and what were the other inhabitants. Did you recently add any new fish or creatures to your tank. What is the temperature of your tank, etc. We ask allot of questions so we can help you deduce what happened to your fish.
Best wishes!

brielleanne93

Dmanatee,
The temp is always between 75-78 F. He's in a 20 gal and it's just him. I did add a tiny snail (size of a dime) in there to help cleaning but he attacked it right away and dug it under the sand. Other than the ph the levels had been fine, and as soon as I did the water change the ph levels were perfect

geridoc

The fact that the pH dropped indicates that water conditions were not good. What were the ammonium levels?

zoidberg01

Triggerfish usually like to get in little nooks and crannies when scared or stressed have u added new fish , his fin looks tore out do u have damsels or tangs or puffers

brielleanne93

Geridoc, the ammonia levels were perfect. Only thing low was the ph levels.
Zoidberg01, nope he was the only one in there. I added the small snail to help clean but that was it.