niger trigger hiding or dead?

chevs10

i bought a 2 to 3 inch niger trigger about a week ago and i havent seen him in a couple days how long does it usually take for them to start coming out and stop being shy. i know they can wedge them selves into the rocks. i just dont know if he is still shy or he had died. i have about 70 lbs of live rock so there are a lot of places in there for him to hide. i dont have aggressive fish. i have a marine betta, clown fish, and a 3 inch sailfin tang, coral beauty.

sepulatian

That is a tough call. They will wedge themselves but usually only if they are being chased. He may have found a nice hiding spot. Have you checked your ammonia? What sized cleanup crew do you have? Is this the reef tank that you were asking about? Try looking in the tank with a towel over a flashlight at night.

grabbitt

A couple days seems kind of strange for it to be hiding that long...
If you don't have any hostile tankmates and your levels are ok, the only thing I can think to ask is how you went about acclimating...
Hopefully, we can get some experienced trigger owners to provide some input.

ghettotang

Yeah I agree with sepulatian it's really hard to tell because usually niger trigger are very active. Especially if it comes to feeding time. I have one niger trigger in my 75 gallon tank and it's very very very active and swin a lot. How long have you not seen the trigger.

chevs10

yes its the 125 and i drip aclimated him for an hour in a black bucket so he would get lessed stressed. when i put him in he was fine then he found a home in the left bottom corner in some rocks. i would see him come out then go in quickly when he saw me. i havent seen him in 2 or 3 days now.

rslinger

You should maybe pull the rocks out in the area you think he is in. And rearrange them. See if he is still alive. My niger hide a lot in the first month also