niger trigger, reef safe?

dexter335i

i know its not supposed to be according to some texts out there. but i have also heard of people successfully keeping one. i have a blue jaw trigger and he has done fine thus far. so can i put one in with my blue jaw? and is he as reef safe as a blue jaw? im heading to the fish store in about 30 minutes any input would be greatly appreciated.

kjr_trig

Sometimes yes, sometimes no....There are more reef-safe trigger options, your Bluethroat, Sargassum and Crosshatch.

flricordia

I have a male niger in a reef with snails and such, no crabs and haven't tryed yet. Doesn't bother anything but I keep it well fed. Only problem is it will kill any other fish, so at least for my niger, it is living solo.

florida joe

Can be housed in reefs, harmless to corals, but may nip at sponges, tunicates, ornamental crustaceans an snails. To keep with cleaner shrimps, add the shrimps first.

dexter335i

thanks for the input guys. its been a few days now and he is doing well, very docile. nd he acclimated like a champ. ate on the first day and didnt take refuge behind the rocks like my blue jaw did. you guys are gonna think im crazy but i put a juvi humu humu in the tank also and so far he is responding well also. he nips at the rock a little bit. but thats just to dull his teeth down.

socal57che

Originally Posted by dexter335i
http:///forum/post/2575647
thanks for the input guys. its been a few days now and he is doing well, very docile. nd he acclimated like a champ. ate on the first day and didnt take refuge behind the rocks like my blue jaw did. you guys are gonna think im crazy but i put a juvi humu humu in the tank also and so far he is responding well also. he nips at the rock a little bit. but thats just to dull his teeth down.
Niger, blue jaw and humu humu in your 50 gal? That's a lot of poo. What else do you have in there?

R

rcreations

I asked the same question in the agressive fish forum. Funny how the answers I got there are different than the ones here.

socal57che

Your profile says that you also have 2 clowns, a flame angel and a mandarin. I think you're pushin the limits of a 50. The triggers will easily outgrow this tank, IMO. The clowns (damselfish) will become more and more aggressive depending on what kind you have. The mandarin, as I'm sure you are aware, can be finiky eaters and often require that you propagate pods to feed them. Just trying to help you avoid possible problems.

dexter335i

i appreciate the responses guys, they are all doing well. when i said the humu humu is a juvi. i meant it, he is the smallest one i have ever seen. about 1 inch at most. my niger is small as well about 2-2.5 inches my blue jaw is a tad bit larger. my flame angel is about 1 inch as well. he acclimated nicely also. as far as the mandarin goe, i did harvest tigger pods before putting him in. i dont really care for clowns, so if i need to make more space they will be the first to go. once any of the fish become too large i plan to donate them to the tank at my office which is 1,200 gallons. i am going to pick up a small clown tang in a couple days and/ or possibly a powder brown tang.

jmick

No trigger is really reef safe. I have a pink tail in my 125 sps set up and it recently got a taste for my poor engineer goby and took 4" off it's tail in less then a day. This just happened, the poor goby is in my fuge and the trigger is on its way out. Have had the trigger for 8 months and up to this time it has been a model citizen.