niger trigger

Z

zullu4cb

i have just purchased one of these beautiful fish...he is about 6-7 inchs...can anyone give me any info on the behavior of these fish...any thing special about them...life span?....diet that is the best?....compatibility?...thank you all help is great!!!

anthropo

these fish grow pretty big, around the foot to a foot and a half range. they are pretty tame when it comes to trigger fish. you can pretty much put them with any fish not big enough to fit in their mouths which isn't hard to do. they may be shy at first but in a couple days they start to come out. they are usually the first ones to attack the food you put in the tank and probably will eat right from your hand eventually. they will eat most meaty foods such as mysis and krill. stay away from brine shrimp unless it has been fortified with vitamins. as far as inverts go, you can put cleaner shrimp in there but usually has to be in there before you put the trigger in so now may not be a good idea. he will pretty much eat any shrimp you put in there. crabs, hermits, and snails should be ok.

sandi

I have had a niger trigger for about 4 years now. They are very cool fish to have. They are pretty tame as far as triggers but as time goes by they seem to get more territorial. Mine went for 2 years never hurting anything in my tank and then all of a sudden he ate all my crabs, shrimp and my nasty little damsel - but he hated that fish from the beginning and he finally got him.
But they are really neat fish to have. They will move things around in your tank all the time. Mine will pick up shells (not just little ones - big ones) and move them from one side of the tank to the other. He also moves his fins really fast to get all the sand off the bottom and has huge sand piles that I have to get in and fix. They also like there tank to stay the way they make it. When I go to fix the sand pile or clean the tank my husband has to run interference or the big thing will bite me. It doesn't really hurt but it scares the crap out of me. Anyway what I am trying to say is they are great fish to have and are very neat to watch.

Z

zullu4cb

thanks you guys for the insight...i appreiate it....it is such a neat fish to look at....i had to get him in the store :).... he is acting really shy right now which i am sure is just cause he has been in the tank for a day....