Nina&Noah!!! Aerogarden question

prk543

I have an aerograden 7, or classic I am not sure what they are calling now. Mine Works really well, and I have had a lot of success with the kits. I have grown the Italian Herb seed kit and the Salsa garden seed kit. After the plants sprout you will have to pick out the strongest plants and cut down the weaker plants in the seed pod, if you don't then the plants will end up competing with each other for resources. The salsa garden kit was probably the most fun it comes with two cherry tomato plants and one mini pepper plant. The only downside to this kit is you need to pollinate the plants in order for the tomatoes and peppers to grow.
Oh yeah and with the herb kit, you will need to keep the basil trimmed, It can grow pretty wild, and after a few weeks, you will have all the fresh herbs you need. As long as you keep adding nutrients, water and the thing it plugged in, you should be good.
As far as working the aerogarden, its really easy. The base and light are contained in one unit, and the plants grow in a removable self contained "grow surface" that includes a water reservoir, and pump. The lights and pump are timed according to the setting for what you want to grow. Maintenance is easy, just prune the plants as needed, the light raises as the plants grow (the smell of burnt basil gets old after a day or two... trust me), you can top off the water using tap water as often as you want to or as indicated by the base unit, and add nutrients to the reservoir every two weeks, the base unit will also indicate when these are needed.
The only real gripes I have about my aerogarden is that if you over fill the water reservoir it can overflow onto the surface that it is sitting on... I almost ruined the table mine was on. The other is that when you clean the reservoir out between seed kits, I have found even with the prefilter on the pump inlet, roots still get into the pump and it is difficult to take the pump apart and clean it.
Every one I know really enjoys theirs. My dad and I have also found that if it is set to run at night it makes a really great night light!
I hope this helps. I really enjoy having mine, and its nice to have in my apartment because I don't have much luck with potted plants.
Prk543

alyssia

Originally Posted by Prk543
http:///forum/post/2880173
I have an aerograden 7, or classic I am not sure what they are calling now. Mine Works really well, and I have had a lot of success with the kits. I have grown the Italian Herb seed kit and the Salsa garden seed kit. After the plants sprout you will have to pick out the strongest plants and cut down the weaker plants in the seed pod, if you don't then the plants will end up competing with each other for resources. The salsa garden kit was probably the most fun it comes with two cherry tomato plants and one mini pepper plant. The only downside to this kit is you need to pollinate the plants in order for the tomatoes and peppers to grow.
Oh yeah and with the herb kit, you will need to keep the basil trimmed, It can grow pretty wild, and after a few weeks, you will have all the fresh herbs you need. As long as you keep adding nutrients, water and the thing it plugged in, you should be good.
As far as working the aerogarden, its really easy. The base and light are contained in one unit, and the plants grow in a removable self contained "grow surface" that includes a water reservoir, and pump. The lights and pump are timed according to the setting on what you want to grow. Maintenance is easy, just prune the plants as needed, the light raises as the plants grow (the smell of burnt basil gets old after a day or two... trust me), you can top off the water using tap water as often as you want to or as indicated by the base unit, and add nutrients to the reservoir every two weeks, the base unit will also indicate when these are needed.
The only real gripes I have about my aerogarden is that if you over fill the water reservoir it can overflow onto the surface that it is sitting on... I almost ruined the table mine was on, and that when you clean the reservoir out between seed kits, I have found even with the prefilter on the pump inlet, roots still get into the pump and it is difficult to take the pump apart and clean it.
Every one I know really enjoys theirs. My dad and I have also found that if it is set to run at night it makes a really great night light!
I hope this helps. I really enjoy having mine, and its nice to have in my apartment because I don't have much luck with potted plants.
Prk543
Wow, thanks for all the info!! What kind of nutrients do you have to add and how did you pollinate the plants?

prk543

A set number of nutrient tablets come with the kits, and if you garden lasts longer than your nutrients you can order more from Aerogrow.
The instructions say to move your hands through the plants for ten to 15 seconds a day once they start flowering. I ended up individually pollinating the plants by dabbing my finger in each flower and moving around each plant or between the different plants. I felt i had better coverage this way.
The good news is, since your aerogarden is in a controlled environment, the plants will keep flowering for a long time.
As with most tomato plants, you will need to support the plants, but the way the seed pods are laid out, you can tie the stalks of the tomato plants to the light support. I also saw online that you can order an extension for the light to keep up with the tomato plants.
The seed kits really take the hard part out of it and aerogrow took most of the thinking out of it. As long as you put the pods in as they are in the box, you won't have to worry too much about one fast growing plant blocking the light or growing over another plant.
Prk543

jennythebugg

wait wait ooh ooh ooh i have a question ! can the plants be removed and transplanted? i mean can i use the thingy to get a jump start on the growing season or what?
thank you for the input

alyssia

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2880283
wait wait ooh ooh ooh i have a question ! can the plants be removed and transplanted? i mean can i use the thingy to get a jump start on the growing season or what?
thank you for the input

I think I read on their website that you can do that with some of the kits.

nina&noah

Well, somebody beat me to it, but I love mine. I grew the salad veggies and am now growing the cherry tomatoes.
The best part is the customer service! I tried twice before to grow the cherry tomatoes and the first time the pump went out. I called and they sent me both a new pump and a new seed kit for free! They explained to me that Florida tap water was too hard. The vitamins weren't dissolving well and clogged the pump. This has only been a problem in Flordia for some reason.
Everyone else can use tap water.
The second time I tried they sprouted, but then they died. I called again and they sent me a new grow bulb and a new seed kit for free. I tried a third time and I am still growing cherry tomatoes. I get lots of tomatoes!
My Aerogarden was a Christmas present two years ago, so it was one of the first ones. The customer service was very understanding and was determined for me to be successful.
I want another one!

alyssia

Thanks. If it works out well for me I want to get another one for flowers.
Anyone tried the green beans?