nitrate and rock help.please!!!!

popnfrresh

I disagree with a lot of the information in this post BUT thats what makes this hobby good. You dont have to do everything the same way as everyone else.
I keep mechanical filtration in my tank. As long as your CLEAN the pad out DAILY it picks up most of the debris and is an excellent way to get them out.
As for the DSB the goby does not eat the bacteria in the water. The goby sifts the sand and oxygenates the sand therefor killing off the aneorbic bacteria (nitro-bacillis) that convert the nitrates into nitrogen gas. With a DSB comes responsibility. IF you let the bed go it will reduce the nitrates BUT if the bed is mixed by accident it may release hydrogen sulfide into the tank which is almost as poisinous as ammonia... bottem line ....
BE CAREFUL!!!
If other people could verify this please...

killergoby

Originally Posted by popnfrresh
I disagree with a lot of the information in this post BUT thats what makes this hobby good. You dont have to do everything the same way as everyone else.
I keep mechanical filtration in my tank. As long as your CLEAN the pad out DAILY it picks up most of the debris and is an excellent way to get them out.
As for the DSB the goby does not eat the bacteria in the water. The goby sifts the sand and oxygenates the sand therefor killing off the aneorbic bacteria (nitro-bacillis) that convert the nitrates into nitrogen gas. With a DSB comes responsibility. IF you let the bed go it will reduce the nitrates BUT if the bed is mixed by accident it may release hydrogen sulfide into the tank which is almost as poisinous as ammonia... bottem line ....
BE CAREFUL!!!
If other people could verify this please...
Yes, but this is a DSB in a fuge with (hopefully) no sand sifters in it.
The only onther thing I add on a weekly basis to my tank is B-Ionic to keep my alk and calcium up after water changes.
I still can't get to that DIY link that Sugar Magnolia posted. I'll have to try it late tonight when less people are on reef central.

brolik1

Originally Posted by killergoby
Yes, but this is a DSB in a fuge with (hopefully) no sand sifters in it.
The only onther thing I add on a weekly basis to my tank is B-Ionic to keep my alk and calcium up after water changes.
I still can't get to that DIY link that Sugar Magnolia posted. I'll have to try it late tonight when less people are on reef central.
dont worry killer I searched for it on dogpile.com and it came up and got it.Thanks for your very useful info and Ill keep you posted on the update hopefully success of my nitrates.I did the mod to the filter and Im going to use kent marine bio sediment for my sand bed and brillo pad algae and running the light 24/7.How long will it be before I see changes in my nitrates?

killergoby

Originally Posted by brolik1
dont worry killer I searched for it on dogpile.com and it came up and got it.Thanks for your very useful info and Ill keep you posted on the update hopefully success of my nitrates.I did the mod to the filter and Im going to use kent marine bio sediment for my sand bed and brillo pad algae and running the light 24/7.How long will it be before I see changes in my nitrates?
I'm not sure on that. I'd say the longer it runs, the better. Just don't stir up the sand bed, and keep pruning the Cheateo Algae so it can regrow to remove the nitrates. You should get some pods in there too...

brolik1

I'm not sure on that. I'd say the longer it runs, the better. Just don't stir up the sand bed, and keep pruning the Cheateo Algae so it can regrow to remove the nitrates. You should get some pods in there too...
What do you mean by pruning?

killergoby

What do you mean by pruning?
Check it's growth every now and again and remove some of it so it can re-grow. When the algae grows it absorbs the impurities in the water (like nitrate).

brolik1

Check it's growth every now and again and remove some of it so it can re-grow. When the algae grows it absorbs the impurities in the water (like nitrate).
ok so suld I cut it with scissors or just rip it off with my hands?

killergoby

I just pull it apart. Cheateo will seperate on it's own; you don't have to cut it. While you are in there try to loosen up the tight "clumps" of it. It will grow better then.

brolik1

I just pull it apart. Cheateo will seperate on it's own; you don't have to cut it. While you are in there try to loosen up the tight "clumps" of it. It will grow better then.
ok.I think I have all the info I need and now im off to make the fuge happen.thanks killer for all your help and sorry for making your life miserable

killergoby

ok.I think I have all the info I need and now im off to make the fuge happen.thanks killer for all your help and sorry for making your life miserable

Your welcome. Don't be sorry; that's what we are here for...

brolik1

I saw your pics of the tank and it looks great.hopefully Ill be up there with the big boys soon :thinking:

brolik1

wait 2 more questions..........while feeding do I have to turn off the refuge like before?
and what is the best thing to feed my shrimp and coral banded shrimp?

killergoby

I keep my refuge on while feeding. I feed frozen Brine Shrimp Plus, Prime Reef, Formula 1, Cyclops-Eeze, Mysis Shrimp, and Invert Formula.

brolik1

I keep my refuge on while feeding. I feed frozen Brine Shrimp Plus, Prime Reef, Formula 1, Cyclops-Eeze, Mysis Shrimp, and Invert Formula.
I have 2 CBS and 1 cleaner shrimp,how do you distribute the food?
I just need an idea.
thanks

brolik1

oh and my friend is giving me a flourescent dual light without the bulbs,what bulbs can I put that will work best? I was thinking about 1 actinic blue and 1 daylight 10,000 k bulb.
opinions welcomed

killergoby

I either target feed with a pipette or just pour some in the tank. I run a 10k bulb 12 hours a day with my actinic running for 14 hours. That one comes on an hour earlier and stays on an hour later than my full-spectrum.