Nitrate Control Methods

4clownfish

I was wondering what methods there are for lowering Nitrate levels in a tank. I have very little ammonia spikes. But the nitrates keep getting higher, and currently at 20ppm.
So, What are natural methods of lowering nitrates, without a refugium sump with algae.
water changes?
specific plants?
*I do have barber brush plants but they dont seem to be doing well. One is looking good, but the others are not. (sand I think is the cause)

natclanwy

If you don't want to use a refugium your only options are to install a DSB, or up your water changes. Depending on your reason for not wanting a sump a Remote DSB or a denitrator may be a workable option also.

socal57che

What is your current water change schedule?
What is your feeding schedule?
What do you feed and how often?

[hr]
I suggest...
Religious water changes..
Feed less, less often. (if possible)
Rinse your frozen foods before feeding.
Cut down on flake food if you use it.
You could add chaetomorpha. Add a clump to your DT between the rock and back glass, then point a PH toward it to move water through it. Harvest as needed. I have a HOB filter with chaeto and a clip on desk lamp over it. (Adding chaeto is in addition to correcting the cause of the rising nitrates)
EDIT* I just read your profile...Clean Your Canister! What size tank do you have? I see you have 7 fish.
My Fish:
4 Clownfish - 2 Sgt Major - Flame cardinal
My Invertebrates:
Skunk S - Halloween HC - 3 Emerald C
My Equipment:
Ehiem - Hydor - AC - TAAM Rio
What I Feed:
Brine, FD-B, pellets, Algae, supp.
Hobby Experience:
1 Mo.
My Location:
East Coast
Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/2998008
I have a 20 gallon tank

bs21

reduce the bio load on the tank. To many fish to much waste etc... Even adding a sump to increase water volume and a fuge there would only be a temporary solution. As fish grow they will create more waste.
the water quality issue you are having is also the reason for your algea blooms.
Also on a side note and just a warning: you may want to consider removing some clowns. They may be small now but as they settle in over the long term they will fight it out. usually not good. you could chance that they get along forever but majority of time it doesn't work. Your money and your fish though just my opinion.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by 4Clownfish http:///forum/post/2998276
I was wondering what methods there are for lowering Nitrate levels in a tank. I have very little ammonia spikes. But the nitrates keep getting higher, and currently at 20ppm.
So, What are natural methods of lowering nitrates, without a refugium sump with algae.
water changes?
specific plants?
*I do have barber brush plants but they dont seem to be doing well. One is looking good, but the others are not. (sand I think is the cause)
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/330606/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-replaces-skimmer-refugium-everything

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/2998276
water changes?
specific plants?
The statements in red above where the original question.
Originally Posted by bs21

http:///forum/post/2999464
sorry but still doesn't solve the issue with why they are having water quality issues. while this is a method for nutrient export it does not resolve issues of over stocking.
There is nothing in there as far as over stocking. At this point I gave an answear that is a different method to reduce nitrates, as to address the question at hand. No where in this post I am addressing overstocking, as it is not part of this thread. If 4Clownfish has over stocked his tank, than he should have asked that question. I do not know what your definition of over stocked is nor do I know how you quantify that. I have my personal opinion with regards to this subject but did not included it simply because it does not pertain to the original question.

bs21

wow sorry you took my statement as a personal attack. it was not meant that way. The post was for the Op because while i enjoyed that thread I think it can give the impression it will just be a solution to 4clowns water problems. I was trying to convey the importance of solving the root issue of the problem (which as i said i feel is overstocking) and then 4clownfish can then decide if he wants/needs another method of nutrient export. As stated before i feel just adding more filtration is just delaying future problems.

don trinko

The easiest/cheapest way to reduce nitrates is water change. If your nitrates gradualy build up it means that there is not enough places for the anerobic bacteria to convert nitrates to nitrogen. This not necisarily harmful; It means you should do water changes regularly to keep the nitrates down.
You should do water changes anyway for various other reasons. ( trace elements, remove organic material ect) Don T.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by bs21
http:///forum/post/2999535
wow sorry you took my statement as a personal attack. it was not meant that way. The post was for the Op because while i enjoyed that thread I think it can give the impression it will just be a solution to 4clowns water problems. I was trying to convey the importance of solving the root issue of the problem (which as i said i feel is overstocking) and then 4clownfish can then decide if he wants/needs another method of nutrient export. As stated before i feel just adding more filtration is just delaying future problems.
That is the problem when writing instead of talking. You loose the personal interaction and the true intent of the wording is not completely understood. I did not take your post as a personal attak on me, but rather a more realistic point of the problem. I was trying to let 4Clownfish (indirectly) know that the problem is not always answeared with a simple solution. That is why I made the subsequesnt statement.
"If 4Clownfish has over stocked his tank, than he should have asked that question."
To often I think people ask questions when deep inside they know what the root problem is, but yet they seek that miracle solution that will fis things quick and easy.

spiderwoman

If your tank is 1 month old, it's possibly still cycling and you have that many fish in there already. You mentioned that your ammonia doesn't spike much. There should be NO ammonia in your tank. The biological filtration in that tank is not ready for that bioload.

florida joe

Even adding a sump to increase water volume and a fuge there would only be a temporary solution. As fish grow they will create more waste.
can you give your reasoning for this statment

bs21

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2999704
can you give your reasoning for this statment
Obviously adding more water and a form of nutrient export helps but I'm saying with the size tank we are talking about it would not make a difference over the long run. what size sump would someone add to a 20g? maybe10 more gal? with 2 fish that get 6" and 4 clowns i don't feel 10 more gal and a fuge that would fit in there isgoing to keep from having water quality issues over the long run.
Just wanted to point out some things. not trying to offend OP or anyone else but i think some more research needs to be done to get the most enjoyment out of tank and have the least number of problems. So i brought up some other issues i saw with the setup. Im glad 4clownfish came here its a step in the right direction IMO but i'm washing my hands of this because i'm not here to argue over things.

locoyo386

For what ever it's worth here are my last 2 thoughts on this thread.
1.) As far as bioload is concern. With proper filtration for both nitrification and denitrification you will not have problems due to too much bioload. Potentially you could have a significantly big amount of fish.
2.) As far as over stocking a fish tank. Everyone pretty much has asked the questoin of how much is over stocked. Well put as much fish a you want {given that you have proper filtration, see 1. above)} in your tank in a period of about 2 months. Once you have all the fish you want start counting months up to 8 months. If during this period no fish die, than you can start count down for an additional 6 months (total of 16 months). After 16 months what ever remaining fish you have, is how many fish you should have started with. If zero fish are remaining alive, than you should read and understand marine fish alot better before you can have fish again. In all honesty, if you have zero fish alive after this time, than you are definetly doing something wrong.