Nitrate levels are driving me crazy

sefo

Don't know why but my nitrates levels are hight all the other ones are normal ammonia, nitrite are 0 ph 8.2 salinity 1.0022 I did a 15g water change and nothing it still high I use the tap water purifier for my water does anyone have any idea?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What filtration system do you use? What animials do you have in your tank? Have you actually tested your water [before and after] mixing in the salt? What water changes do you do?

porkypuffer

NOT TO GET OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT I WAS USEING A TAP WATER PURIFIER ALSO, THE BOX SAID IT WOULD MAKE 50 TO 150 GALS, AT BEST ALL I COULD GET WAS 25 GALS. WITH REFILL AT $15 EACH I CHECKED INTO R/O WATER AT MY LFS WHICH WAS .20 A GAL. FOR WHAT I WAS SPENDING ON REFILLS I COULD BUY 75 GALS OF R/O WATER, NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING NOW.
THE NEXT TIME YOU CHANGE THE FILTER, KEEP TRACK OF HOW MANY GALS IT MAKES, I'D LIKE TO KNOW IF AUSTIN TX HAS BAD WATER OR THE MANUFACTURER STRETCHES THE TRUTH. IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL SOURCE FOR R/O WATER, IT COULD BE CHEAPER.

sefo

I do too, here in Ames Iowa I belive we have one of the best tap water on the nation. but still I don't know where is all this nitrita is coming from. I have cup and feather calurpa "spelling" and it is spreading like wild fire hope this help my problem.

porkypuffer

MAN, ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT THE WATER HERE IN AUSTIN WAS PRETTY GOOD, AND TO THINK I MAKE MY COFFEE WITH IT. I THINK I'LL START FILTERING THE WATER FIRST. THANKS GUYS

sefo

hey Tommygirl, I buy my fish from saltwaterfish.com so far so good but my live rock I got it from some other place name harbor aquatic. hope this help
PORKYPUFFER my brother live in Austin too good place to live