Nitrate levels

gammabill

Just took a reading of my levels, and my Nitrate reading was in the unsafe area....160-200. Could someone tell me how to correctify this problem...Nitrite is 0....Alkalinity is 180 and pH is 8.4 Thanks:help:

gammabill

Originally posted by ClarkiiClo
How old is your tank?

My tank is 15 months old....everything is doing great and corals are multiplying.....but this chemical part is very confusing to me, especially on correcting bad numbers

gammabill

Water changes can help. RO/DI water. What type of filtration do you have?

I use only RO/DI water and my filtration system is tank under cabinet. Main chamber has skimmer and water flows over charcoal in to next tank which has bio balls and then into next chamber for recirculation to main tank........sorry, don't know the name of system. Was set up my local LF business. Skimmer isn't working well and have to take apart and clean it again....water spins, but doesn't seem to be making foam well.

clarkiiclo

It may be the bioballs. I have heard that after time they can be a source of nitrate buildup.
Do you have sand or CC in the display?

gammabill

It may be the bioballs. I have heard that after time they can be a source of nitrate buildup.
Do you have sand or CC in the display?

I have sand

gammabill

That is good. Do you have any macro aglae?

I believe I do........but not sure just what macro algae is. If you are refering to the rose colored algae on LR and some on glass, I guess I do. Sorry, really a beginner here and learning each and every day.

lion_crazz

How many pounds of live rock do you have? If you have 1 - 1.5 lbs in the tank, the bio balls could be putting some die off into the water column, thus causing your nitrates to rise a little.
The macroalgae that he was referring to is things like caulerpa, chaeto, etc. It's a plant that grows in saltwater that could help control your nitrates by absorbing them.

gammabill

does it look like this?

LOL...yes it does look like the picture. I have quite alot on my LR

lion_crazz

Yeah, that is the bad type of algae/bacteria. You either are feeding it the nutrients it wants (nitrates/phosphates) or else you leave your lights on too long.

clarkiiclo

Yeah cyno is bad. It can really harm your corals. Poor oxygen exchange can cause it. Trates or phostphates as lion_crazz said.
And leaving your lights on too long.
Red Slime remover works well too. I had it once when my tank cycled. Hasnt come back.