Nitrate/nitrite tests

urodude

Iv'e heard that nitrate tests are not accurate if there are nitrites in the tank. I have been using the Hagen testing kits during my cycle and am not sure if I should just be monitoring nitrites until the level goes to zero. Ammonia levels are zip.
Any thoughts out there?

27mtaylor

If you have nitrites still, then eventually they will turn into nitrates. That would give you a higher nitrate reading later on (unless you have been doing water changes) Is that what you were asking?

urodude

Not exactly. I was told that the way some of the nitrate tests work would register a higher reading when nitrites were also present in the sample, based upon the chemical reactions within the test. I didn't know if the Hagen test would yield this "false positive" elevation in nitrates.

degbowl

I'm in the middle of cycling and using the Hagen test kit, too. I am not testing for nitrates yet. I'm not sure about chemical reactions, but I was told to wait for nitrites to be zero. I would like to know if you are right.

hottie79

I was told by my LFS that testing specifically for Nitrates, you would get a false positive if there were nitrites present. But thats my LFS and we have already learned that he is a bit on the stupid side.... He wanted to sell me 8 fish to put in a 15 gallon... :mad: