Nitrate Problem

paulidee

Hi,
I neglected my tank for a few months and now my calcium is at 330 and I tested my nitrates last night with a new test kit and it was at 80! The nitrate level surprised me because I did several water changes in the last couple of weeks.
I had an idea to check the nitrate level of the RO water I am making and that came up at 20.
I don't know what to do and I am thinking of buying a bunch of the ***** natural seawater to do my next couple of water changes, but would appreciate anybody's advice on the problem.
Thanks,
Paul

rdhanley

When Was The Last Time You Changed The Filters In The Ro System. Suggest Testing Your Water That Is Not Ro Treated.

mscarpena

Before you change your filters every 6 months it depends greatly on your water conditions. You should probably change your sediment and carbon filters every 4-6 months(when visibly dirty), but before you go changing your RO membrane every 6 months you should buy a TDS(total disolved solid) meter and test your water. You might be better off adding a DI cartridge. You will have high nitrates, phosphates, and silicates with well water due to run off from farms. Nitrates and phosphates are very common plant fertilizers. I think a DI cartridge might be better and cheaper in the long run. I would do full testing on your water before then after. Nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, silicates, chlorine, and TDS. Then test all of these after to see the change. If there is a large change from before to after add a DI and then test again.

snaredrum

Speaking of the well water you use, are you in a farming area? If so this could cause high NO3 (Nitrates). This is do to farmers fertilizing and it seeping into the ground. Check your tap (Well) water first. This should give you the answer.

al mc

If it is a FOLR tank I would feel that if the fish are not showing signs of stress and you can get the needed filters changed in a few days I would wait and make my own water..I agree that you will be best served with carbon/sediment change and addition of a DI.. This has probably been a gradual rise that they have adjusted to.....However, if a reef tank or the fish are stressed then I would get some RO water from a local Wal---t or local LFS.
Amquel plus may be a helpful short term remedy also.

paulidee

I will check it, but why does the amount of Nitrates in my well water matter, shouldn't the RO unit take it all out?

al mc

RO will help remove nitrates, but I had similar problem with nitrates and phosphates. Once I added the DI filter it removed them completely.
I would test your water before filtration, after your 'old' filter, then again after you have changed the filters to see how you are doing. If financially feasible and your post filter nitrates are still present then add the DI.
JMHO

paulidee

Ok, that makes sense.
I already ordered the new filter cartridges along with the DI attachment. I also got the TDS meter.
While I wait for the stuff to come in and since my nitrates are so high, I am going to get some of the ***** real ocean water for a 20% water change tonight.
Thanks for your help!

snaredrum

Originally Posted by Al Mc
RO will help remove nitrates, but I had similar problem with nitrates and phosphates. Once I added the DI filter it removed them completely.
I would test your water before filtration, after your 'old' filter, then again after you have changed the filters to see how you are doing. If financially feasible and your post filter nitrates are still present then add the DI.
JMHO

Great Advice!
If you understand that the nitrogen cycle can happen anywhere (like in unchanged filters) it will cycle like your tank does. End result = Nitrates.