Nitrate problems, input please.

albfishin'

Some of you may recall, I had an ich outbreak in the DT around the first week of Dec. and lost all fish. Since the outbreak, my nitrates have been 80ppm. I have been doing small water changes (5 gal.) about every four days for about a month and can't get 'trates down and haven't been successful. At about the same time I also had a small algal bloom which this mourning I noticed is beginning to lessen in volume. Should I continue with same protocol and be patient or switch to a new approach?....if there is one.
I know this is going to be the next point but I do use tap for H2O changes, my 'trates were 10ppm prior to ich. Everything coral, inverts, etc. are doing well and thriving. Thanks for the help.

mygatt

It may be hard/impossible to lower your nitrates with tap water - most tap water contains 'trates, try testing your tap water on its own, see what kind of levels you get with that? Any chance of switching to DO/DI wqater if it is high? also how much do you feed? I would say those are the two biggest culprits of high nitrates, especially since you are doing as many water changes as you are.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Give us some info about your tank, LR? LS? Filters you use, size tank, age of tank, water source, etc??

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by AlbFishin'
Some of you may recall, I had an ich outbreak in the DT around the first week of Dec. and lost all fish. Since the outbreak, my nitrates have been 80ppm. I have been doing small water changes (5 gal.) about every four days for about a month and can't get 'trates down and haven't been successful. At about the same time I also had a small algal bloom which this mourning I noticed is beginning to lessen in volume. Should I continue with same protocol and be patient or switch to a new approach?....if there is one.
I know this is going to be the next point but I do use tap for H2O changes, my 'trates were 10ppm prior to ich. Everything coral, inverts, etc. are doing well and thriving. Thanks for the help.
Small water changes will not get nitrates down. You need to do a series of large water changes and then small ones to maintain them.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Small water changes will not get nitrates down. You need to do a series of large water changes and then small ones to maintain them.
Yep, that's what I was thinking

albfishin'

I have a 55 gal with about 75# of lr and about a 3" ls bed as substrate. The tank is about 5 mos. old. I have a wet/dry filter with pskimmer. I also use tap water for h2o changes.
If I perform a large water change, what percentage of water do you guys feel is appropriate? Will my coral pieces that are high in the tank do ok with being exposed to the air? Should these guys be moved or taken out of the tank to perform a major h2o change? As always, thanks for the input! You guys are always extremely helpful:)

sepulatian

I have a 55 gal with about 75# of lr and about a 3" ls bed as substrate. The tank is about 5 mos. old. I have a wet/dry filter with pskimmer. I also use tap water for h2o changes.
If I perform a large water change, what percentage of water do you guys feel is appropriate? Will my coral pieces that are high in the tank do ok with being exposed to the air? Should these guys be moved or taken out of the tank to perform a major h2o change? As always, thanks for the input! You guys are always extremely helpful:)
Your nitrates are high because the tank is done cycling. You should probably do a series of about 25-30% water changes every 3-4 days untill they are 10 or under. I would definately move the corals to the bottom untill your nitrates are under control, then you can go back to smaller water changes. It is ok if the rock comes out of the water for the breif amount of time while you are changing the water out, just make sure they stay wet. If you are unclear about this, just let us know

albfishin'

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Your nitrates are high because the tank is done cycling. You should probably do a series of about 25-30% water changes every 3-4 days untill they are 10 or under. I would definately move the corals to the bottom untill your nitrates are under control, then you can go back to smaller water changes. It is ok if the rock comes out of the water for the breif amount of time while you are changing the water out, just make sure they stay wet. If you are unclear about this, just let us know

I actually tested h2o tonight and they've come down to 40 ppm. At least I'm begining to make headway :joy: I will continue with the protocol you mentioned above. It may be a little tough with coral due to hards and softies together at bottom but hopefully it will only be a few water changes. Everything sounds pretty clear and I will keep you guys posted!
PS....I got my QT set up and the display tank clear of fish. I can't wait to get going again with fish and I'm counting down days for my ich parasite cycle to clear. I will keep you all posted and again many thanks sep, beth, and lion.

sepulatian

I actually tested h2o tonight and they've come down to 40 ppm. At least I'm begining to make headway :joy: I will continue with the protocol you mentioned above. It may be a little tough with coral due to hards and softies together at bottom but hopefully it will only be a few water changes. Everything sounds pretty clear and I will keep you guys posted!
PS....I got my QT set up and the display tank clear of fish. I can't wait to get going again with fish and I'm counting down days for my ich parasite cycle to clear. I will keep you all posted and again many thanks sep, beth, and lion.

All sounds good
You are very welcome, we are all here for you! Keep us posted

albfishin'

All sounds good
You are very welcome, we are all here for you! Keep us posted

Sep, just thought of one more question.....If the tank is finished cyclying and after the removal of all fish due to the ich probs, now that tank is empty and performing a water change that big, will my tank begin to cycle again? Will it be ok to leave it fishless for several more weeks? What will this due to my current water parameters? Ok, I know that was not one, but several questions:) I just want to make sure I'm doing everything as right as I can for my system and reef
Thanks again.

sepulatian

Sep, just thought of one more question.....If the tank is finished cyclying and after the removal of all fish due to the ich probs, now that tank is empty and performing a water change that big, will my tank begin to cycle again? Will it be ok to leave it fishless for several more weeks? What will this due to my current water parameters? Ok, I know that was not one, but several questions:) I just want to make sure I'm doing everything as right as I can for my system and reef
Thanks again.
It will not recycle because the biological bacteria is already established ( on your rocks, substrate etc). To keep the tank fully cycled add a little fish food once every 4 days to create an ammonia source so your bacteria does not die. Ask as many questions as you would like!!

albfishin'

It will not recycle because the biological bacteria is already established ( on your rocks, substrate etc). To keep the tank fully cycled add a little fish food once every 4 days to create an ammonia source so your bacteria does not die. Ask as many questions as you would like!!

Ok, thanks again