Nitrate problems

babs

I would appreciate any advice i can get, I have been having nitrate problems for awhile now.
I have a 20 gallon long tank,I have a biowheel filter system ,
aquawywtem lights recommended for this tank by lfs
powerhead and heater
i have protein skimmer on the way,
My levels are ph-7.9
nitrite is 0.01
amonia is .01
alk. is well on tester i used 10 drops, sorry, i haven't calculated it yet
salinity is 1.022
and nitrate is 50
i feed once a day, very little since i only had 3 fish in tank, 2 perculas, and one maroon they have been in here for at least 9 months.hermit crabs
i have used de-nitrate n filters
i do water changes
i vaccumed gravel last week and done like 5 gallon water change, changed to different lfs water, it still test this high, as soon as i put something new in it, it dies, the same day if not same hour,
i don't know what to do short of giving up;
i got new order in from saltwater today, was hoping that since new filter,water changes, i might have luck, wrong,
the only thing i have that might make is is pj cardinal, and 2 pencil urchins, but, i just put them in today, i done the 3 plus acclamation, within 10 minutes the shrimp-dead
within hour 2 blennies--dead, 2 basslets--dead
so i have star that hasn't moved, so he may not make it, who knows, but, is there something else i can do. should i take water to get tested, i know its the nitrate, but, don't know what else to do to bring it down, i top with store gallon spring water,
i want a healthy tank, one i can sit and look at at see what a god job i have done, and i see dissapointment right now, I can't keep killing things,
Please tell me if im doing something wrong, or can do something else,
thanks
B

1journeyman

Hmm, could be a few things.
As Alyssia hinted at, have you checked your source water for nitrates? Have you tried a different test kit to make sure the first one is accurate?
To me it sounds like your tank is fully stocked with 3 clowns in it. I'm also surprised they are getting along in that size tank. Different breeds of Clowns tend to get nasty towards each other. The Maroon is one of the biggest Clown species.
Your salinity needs to be brought up a bit. Are you using a refractometer to check it?
Good luck with it! Hope the info helps.

froznfinn

my concern isn't nitrate..which can be seen with overfeeding..but nitrite and ammonia should be zero and ph 8.0-8.2..shrimp,newly acclimating fish will have a problem ..I've been told that urchins also need good parameters in water.. stop ordering fish right now.til you straightenout your problem.you have a skimmer and new filter on the way ..i would suggest you continue to
use your biowheel filter through several water changes(approx 6 weeks).in addition to your new filter. i agree with the responses that you have already received..you make no mention of live sand ,crushed coral or live rock..oops i noticed your water temp was missing? good luck..

babs

sorry i didkn't put the other stuff in there, i should have know to do that,
i have live sand about 1 and half inches, and at least 20-25 lbs of live rock, i keep temp, at 80- and i do not use tap water, i have well water, i used to, till i read posts for other guys having trouble,so i use the water from wal-mart, I am now going to start topping off with the r/o water, i am going to get it today.
I was new at it when i got the 3 clowns, and listened to the lfs owner, they do get along though, but i know now not ot add any more fish, i know i cn't have alot of fish here, but, i wanted the blennies for the rocks, i love watching them,
one pencil urchin is gone now, the clams i ordered i guess 2 of them burried theirselvs in sand? this morning i only see one in tank, so they have to be under gravel.
i think i answered everything else, oh, yes i use fractometer for it, its in the middle of the safe lines, do i need to raise it more? i really don't think i overfeed, i only put in what i see them eat, and they still come to glass wanting more, but i don't feed them more, i feed one time a day,
i have no desire to order more fish, I need this under control. but i can't fix it till i have help, thats why i got on here,
i will do whatever you guys tell me to do, i just need the help.
ok to test i use tesst strips for one way
then i have a marine basic multi-test kit,
the nitrite does show o on the test strip, ph is close too, it shows on safe side, so i just don't know, i am hoping that doing water changes with the ro water will help too
thanks everyone.
b

froznfinn

It sounds like your on your way..although it appears like your still cycling..do your water changes as needed..just maintain your tank and do not add livestock til everything setles down..as hard as it seems be patient and you'll reap rewards

babs

thanks for all the help,
i was readin on other posts,
I will give it time, anyother advise i will take though, I bought the new water today, salt and ro, so should i do more water changes, more often, or should i just do one gallon weekly, or what should i do,
thanks
barb

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by babs
I would appreciate any advice i can get, I have been having nitrate problems for awhile now.
I have a 20 gallon long tank,I have a biowheel filter system ,
aquawywtem lights recommended for this tank by lfs
powerhead and heater
i have protein skimmer on the way,
My levels are ph-7.9
nitrite is 0.01
amonia is .01
alk. is well on tester i used 10 drops, sorry, i haven't calculated it yet
salinity is 1.022
and nitrate is 50
i feed once a day, very little since i only had 3 fish in tank, 2 perculas, and one maroon they have been in here for at least 9 months.hermit crabs
i have used de-nitrate n filters
i do water changes
i vaccumed gravel last week and done like 5 gallon water change, changed to different lfs water, it still test this high, as soon as i put something new in it, it dies, the same day if not same hour,
i don't know what to do short of giving up;
i got new order in from saltwater today, was hoping that since new filter,water changes, i might have luck, wrong,
the only thing i have that might make is is pj cardinal, and 2 pencil urchins, but, i just put them in today, i done the 3 plus acclamation, within 10 minutes the shrimp-dead
within hour 2 blennies--dead, 2 basslets--dead
so i have star that hasn't moved, so he may not make it, who knows, but, is there something else i can do. should i take water to get tested, i know its the nitrate, but, don't know what else to do to bring it down, i top with store gallon spring water,
i want a healthy tank, one i can sit and look at at see what a god job i have done, and i see dissapointment right now, I can't keep killing things,
Please tell me if im doing something wrong, or can do something else,
thanks
B
The guy mentioned about your still cycling, there's no way you can still be cycling at 9 months. You do need to bring your salinity up to keep inverts, bring it around 1.025-1.027 and you need to buffer your water to get your PH up to around 8.2-8.3 What is your Alkaline level? You also need to stop siphoning your sandbed! Get some cleanup crews to do some work for you. How are you cleaning your bio-wheel? You know not to clean the wheel part right? How often are you changing those carbon pads? Start getting those RO water at wal-mart's water machine. Like it was mentioned, you shouldn't get more fish for your size tank. You should do around 20-25% water change just in case something is wrong. I take it the Ammonia is due to death of those fish, did they just died recently? I don't see you mention anything about powerheads, do you not have anything else moving your water other then the bio-wheel? It sounds like there isn't enough oxygen within your water for those fish to die so quick. Have you ever put any type of meds in your tank? It just doesn't sound right to have them die so quick... :thinking:

babs

I do have a powerhead running, there is plenty of movement going on.
i change filter pads every week and half, or sooner if looks to dirty, I will do the 25 % water change Saturday, and i will make sure salinity is up more too.
i do have blue legged hermit crabs, i did the vaccum only because i had never done it, and I was just thinkin that if nitrate is caused from too much waste then i needed to do it, I didn't know, how ofter if ever do you vaccum the bottom?
I have had tank for 14 months, have had the clowns for around 9 months,
its just the new stuff i put in that dies, but i have NO intentions of new anything for a long time.
thanks for the advice, i am checking here everyday, so any new things for me to try, just let me know,
thank you
Barb

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by babs
I do have a powerhead running, there is plenty of movement going on.
i change filter pads every week and half, or sooner if looks to dirty, I will do the 25 % water change Saturday, and i will make sure salinity is up more too.
i do have blue legged hermit crabs, i did the vaccum only because i had never done it, and I was just thinkin that if nitrate is caused from too much waste then i needed to do it, I didn't know, how ofter if ever do you vaccum the bottom?
I have had tank for 14 months, have had the clowns for around 9 months,
its just the new stuff i put in that dies, but i have NO intentions of new anything for a long time.
thanks for the advice, i am checking here everyday, so any new things for me to try, just let me know,
thank you
Barb
If it's live sand, I wouldn't be vaccuming at all!! Just get some Nassarius and Cerith Snails, they'll clean up your sandbed in no time. :happyfish

drewsta

Get rid of that BIO WHEEL ASAP that pulls the natural bacteria out of the water that your tank needs!!!!

uberlink

Originally Posted by Drewsta
Get rid of that BIO WHEEL ASAP that pulls the natural bacteria out of the water that your tank needs!!!!
I don't think you need to pull your biowheel. It won't do much for you (since you're using live rock...right?), but I doubt it will hurt anything. I've heard that before, but I don't buy it. It doesn't pull bacteria out of the water. It provides another place for the bacteria to grow. Anyway...
I think you do need to get your skimmer in place. That will help to oxygenate your water (among other things), which should help bring your ph up a bit.
On the nitrates, I'd suggest adding some macroalgae to your system. I've had great luck with that. I added a small h.o.t. mini-fuge full of chaeto and with a little grow lamp, and my nitrates dropped to zero within weeks. And there they've stayed!

uberlink

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
If it's live sand, I wouldn't be vaccuming at all!! Just get some Nassarius and Cerith Snails, they'll clean up your sandbed in no time. :happyfish
Totally agree. Don't vacuum your sand. If you're using cc, then vacuum. But with sand, just leave it alone (except maybe to vacuum the very surface for aesthetic reasons).

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Drewsta
That doesn't make sense to me... bacteria grows on your sand, rock, etc. How would it get pulled out of your tank?

uberlink

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That doesn't make sense to me... bacteria grows on your sand, rock, etc. How would it get pulled out of your tank?
I agree. The biowheel just creates another spot for the bacteria to grow. I don't see how it could remove bacteria from the water.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by uberlink
I agree. The biowheel just creates another spot for the bacteria to grow. I don't see how it could remove bacteria from the water.
You were already explaining it earlier, so I didn't comment. Bio-wheels can be used, they don't remove bacteria. So I really don't know where that came from??

uberlink

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
You were already explaining it earlier, so I didn't comment. Bio-wheels can be used, they don't remove bacteria. So I really don't know where that came from??

The only thing I can think of--and this is pure speculation--is that running a bio-wheel might create so much beneficial bacteria that it wouldn't leave enough ammonia and nitrite in the water to feed the beneficial bacteria inside the tank. But I doubt that could really be a problem. I suspect Drewsta got some bad info.
Drewsta--any further thoughts on this?

meme

please someone , i have nitrite problems all of a sudden i have changed nothing just recently i lost 2 clowns a blue spot puffer, and a blue tang

badoleross

Get rid of the biowheel. They are no different then bioballs and it is probobly where your nitrates are coming from. I had bioballs in my sump and they were a nitrate nightmare. Also, leave the sand alone. Evrytime you mess with it you wil get more ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.