nitrate question

I know that nitrates aren't that bad but my test came back 20. Any suggestions on how I can lower this would be appreciated. I use Red Sea for the testing.

A

allenk

If you want to lower nitrates, just do routine water changes.

joncat24

water changes work well but, macro algae for nutrient export is the way to go for me along with the water changes.

snakeblitz33

Depending on how young your tank is, it might still be cycling. If it is still young, give it a couple of months to settle down.
Regular water changes will take care of some nitrates, the addition of a protein skimmer will also strip the water of nusances. Make sure that you don't have any sponge filters or anything. Those are nitrate traps.
Growing macroalgae in your refugium would also help keep the nitrates down. Get some mangroves, those are pretty neat. (some say that they don't pull much phosphate out of the water, but I think they do, by my experience.)
Have fun!

The tanks is over 5 months old. I do 20% water changes every other week. I put some kelp into my sump and left a desk lamp on it for the last month. It has tons of algae in it.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I would like to know that as well. You might need the addition of a couple of extra pumps. Another thing you can do is take a turkey baster and blow off all your rocks and stir up a bunch of materials to get it in the water column (with the pumps off) and then do a 30% water change. That will help clean the tank of some detritus and other materials. Have fun!

petjunkie

Check with another test kit, my red sea always said 20 but sailfert says 5. So I don't trust them anymore.

substrate = LS 60lbs, LR 75lbs
water movement = 500 gph pump outlet spout (not sure if that is what you meant)
I think I will buy a different test kit. RedSea seems to give big discrepancies between itself and Tetra test kits.