Nitrate Remover

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone here has used AcquaMarine Nitrate reducer?
If anyone has do you recomend it or not?
Thanks,
Mike

beaslbob

Originally posted by TheShadowWRX
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone here has used AcquaMarine Nitrate reducer?
If anyone has do you recomend it or not?
Thanks,
Mike

I recommend the use of algae (micro or macro) to lower nitrates.

gene52569

I used Acquamarine Nitrate Remover in my 3, 10, and 29 gallon tanks. My Nitrates were very high, they were off the chart. After use the Nitrates dropped very quickly. Now they are 0.:) I also aquired some live sand from Panama City Florida on my last trip, My subsrate is 4 inches deep. I was not about to pay $5 bucks a pound from my local marine store, when I could get all I wanted from the ocean FREE. I also got a bonus of 50 or more drill snails and little white clams. All that combined may have had something to do with helping the Nitrates stay down.
Eugene in Northern Georgia

beaslbob

Originally posted by gene52569
I used Acquamarine Nitrate Remover in my 3, 10, and 29 gallon tanks. My Nitrates were very high, they were off the chart. After use the Nitrates dropped very quickly. Now they are 0.:) I also aquired some live sand from Panama City Florida on my last trip, My subsrate is 4 inches deep. I was not about to pay $5 bucks a pound from my local marine store, when I could get all I wanted from the ocean FREE. I also got a bonus of 50 or more drill snails and little white clams. All that combined may have had something to do with helping the Nitrates stay down.
Eugene in Northern Georgia

Are there any places in panama city you would recommend where a guy could get macro algae/plants (and maybe some fish) snorkling?

tlk

How far out did you go to harvest your sand Gene? I would be concerned about polution (diesel fuel from boats etc) getting into my tank.

gene52569

I went out on low tide out to my chest. Had a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Held my breath and went under, was not an easy task. Transferred the sand to a 60 Quart cooler and also added sea water. Ended up with a bonus of 1 very small jelly fish, which only lasted about two weeks in my tank. I also ended up with alot of green algae which my tangs ate very quickly.
For plants or snorkling I would recommend Gulf Shores in Alabama or Tybee Island in Savannah, Georgia
Eugene from northern Georgia

lizardworks

There is a state park there called St. Andrews that has a shallow tidepool called The Jetties, or at least there was in the late '80s. It would be very easy to harvest a lot of things from there, but also very illegal. If caught, one could be in a heap 'o trouble. Otherwise, it is a very nice place to dive/snorkel and see a lot of neat things. I used to feed the mullet and parrot fish. A lot of long spine urchins, crabs, jellyfish and stonefish. Lots of neat things to see there. Again, at least there was in the late '80s. Another spot is (or was) a small island off the shoreline from the air base called 'Shell Island' it would be another good spot to harvest sand as it is open water and quite clean. There are a lot of places to rent boats down there that would make the trip to Shell Island quite easy.