Nitrate Removing Materials

fishlawyer

Hey All
So, I know the best way to remove Nitrates is through Live rock and water changes. BUT, I was wondering if any of the commercially avaliable products actually do it too??? I started using Fluval's nitrate removing filver medial in my FX5 about a month ago, and I actually noticed a difference.
Does this stuff actually work? And if so, what do you guys find to be the best.
PS: I am keeping nitrates down now by doing 15% water changes every two weeks and cleaning/doing partial filter media changes in my FX5 Cannister Filter.

srfisher17

I've never found a nitrate remover that worked on a permanent basis. SeaChem Matrix has been working for me and it is permanent, like LR or LR rubble. I have used some denitrators (sulfur) that worked well; but not since I moved. How high are your nitrates? Nitrates won't hurt fish, at least at "moderate" (say 60 ppm) levels and that should be easy with normal water changes. If you're keeping corals, or other inverts, then I'd look into more LR, a sulfur denitrator, or LR/matrix rubble system. Adding products (not cheap over time) just doesn't seem practical as a long term solution; IMO.

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2984680
I've never found a nitrate remover that worked on a permanent basis. SeaChem Matrix has been working for me and it is permanent, like LR or LR rubble. I have used some denitrators (sulfur) that worked well; but not since I moved. How high are your nitrates? Nitrates won't hurt fish, at least at "moderate" (say 60 ppm) levels and that should be easy with normal water changes. If you're keeping corals, or other inverts, then I'd look into more LR, a sulfur denitrator, or LR/matrix rubble system. Adding products (not cheap over time) just doesn't seem practical as a long term solution; IMO.
Thanks for the input. My nitrates are actually OK, maxing out around 35 ppm in my FOWLR setups. I was just wondering how I could make it better.

pbnj

Are you talking about ""Hagen Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover"?
If so, that should only be used in Freshwater systems.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by FishLawyer
http:///forum/post/2984693
Thanks for the input. My nitrates are actually OK, maxing out around 35 ppm in my FOWLR setups. I was just wondering how I could make it better.
IMO & IME that nitrate level in a FOWLR is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. There is a lot of misinformation concerning nitrates; I imagine its comes from the toxicity of nitrates to inverts.

fau8

Your always better with the water changes, if you priceit out it is always the most cost effective solution to any problem.