nitrate

brian00ss

I have the highest nitrate which means it's VERY unsafe. I'm wondering what can I do to bring it down? And will it affect the fish, coral, and the tank? Will they be dying because of high nitrate? Please help!!! :help:

mbrands

How high? When did you test and what did it come out at?
Water changes will reduce it.
Tell us more about your tank. Macroalgae in a refugium will reduce nitrates as well.

brian00ss

I just tested this morning. The nitrite level is at stress level like 3.0 and nitrate level is at 200.
We have several fish and several corals. We have live rocks. Lots of snails and hermit crabs.
I fed them every morning with brine shrimps. That's about it.
What is macroalgae in a refugium? Please forgive me. I'm learning. Thanks.
Michelle

mbrands

Hold on. Has your tank even cycled? Please give us more information. Tank size? How long has it been set up? What fish? When were they added?

brian00ss

Our tank is 75 gallons and yes it's being cycled with skimmer. We have had it for three months now. We added fish and corals about every two weeks. After we set up with live rocks, we wait until the live rock covered with brown algae and tested it. They're ready for hermit crabs and snails. Then two weeks later, we added fish and corals about every two weeks. I hope that information is good enough? Let me know. Thanks.
Michelle:happyfish

scubadoo

How many fish and coral did you add? List the contents of your tank fish, coral, etc. Sounds like you started another cycle. Your bioload could have been too great and grew too fast for your tank. You have to add things slowly. hard to tell unless you list what you have in the tank. Water changes will help.

brian00ss

We have
four clownfish,
foxface,
four crabs,
2 dartmouth,
flame angefish,
coral beauty angelfish,
2 cleaner shrimps,
three gobies,
three small fish,
one shrimp,
one fish from angelfish family,
starfish,
and butterfly. I think that's about it
and we have about ten corals.
Will high nitrate hurt corals and fish?
Thanks
Michelle

scubadoo

WOW!!! That is alot for a 75 gallon tank! The nitrite is more harmful than the nitrate. I would suggest taking some of those fish/corals back to the lfs. My experience is mainly with agressive tanks but that list is way too long for a 3 month old tank. Perhaps others a little more familiar with the species you have can give you advice on what to take out. You do need to do some water changes to try and reduce those levels.
Looks like you added to much, too quick......

1journeyman

"the solution to pollution is dilution"
I believe that's the quote.
Lot's of small water changes my friend. Lot's of them.
yes, high nitrates will kill coral. Not sure about fish. It sounds like you fell victim to a local pet store that sold you way too much way too fast.
How uch live rock do you have? What kind of substrate on the bottome of your tank? Are you using a protein skimmer?

jgterrywv

I am fairly new to the board, but from what I have read, the coral beauty and flame angelfish will fight each other. Keep an eye on them. It does look like too many fish to me.

brian00ss

Yes at first flame and coral beauty were fighting but now they're fine. They kept their distant and I checked them at night. They're doing great. It's a relief! I was having a cow when I saw coral beauty was picking on flame. They're doing great now. Thanks for letting me know!
Michelle

meadbhb

HIya
Welcome to the board!
I think you've got way to many fish in that tank. You need to look up the adult size of all those fish and figure this out. Unlike fresh water tanks, you should only have 1" of adult sized fish per five gallon. With a 75 gallon, you can have 15 inches of fish.
You've added the starfish way to early. They need a mature tank, 6 months, at a minimum. Also, if you have an anenomie they need a mature tank. I'd take both of these back.
four clowns in a tank...you'll probably have problems. They're part of the damsel family and may fight. Two of the same species is preferred. I'd suggest getting rid of at least two of these. Also the foxface, the butterfly and one of the angles. Also if you have a manderin, scooter blenny or any of the dragonette family, you need to take those back too. They live on pods and need at least 100lbs of liverock and a very mature tank. They will starve in your tank.
Meadbhb

brian00ss

Ok, got it. Thanks so much. I appreciate all of your help. It's totally new to me and I've learned so much about saltwater fish. I love saltwater fish a lot. Thanks again.
Michelle