Nitrates and Bioballs

tsdid

I have a question on what I should do. I have had my 40 gallon aquarium up for a year now, I am running a wetdry for filtration. for about 7 months i had about 25lbs of live rock in the tank, and I maintained 0 nitrates all the time. I added about 18 or so more lbs and since then my nitrates go up to about 7 or 8 within 6 weeks. Should i remove the bioballs? or just some. Also should I remove the the sponges on the prefilter and the bubble reducer in the sump?
My stock is lite
2 ocell clowns
2 pajama cardinal
1 BTA
1 skunk cleaner
4 hermits
1 serpent star
1 black urchin
and 3 various snails.

bigmac

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/2527601
Should i remove the bioballs? or just some. Also should I remove the the sponges on the prefilter and the bubble reducer in the sump?
IME, I'd loose the pre filter or clean it more often. I've never been a big fan of filter socks, pre fliters and as you say "bubble reducers"...I'd remove all the bio balls, there's really no need for em.
Your bio load isn't all that much so 40 pounds of rock should do the trick with lots of flow.

tsdid

Its not really socks that i have its a cylinder around the prefilter and the bubble reducer is a blue foam block. The live rock was cured when I put it in

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by CPG
http:///forum/post/2527613
I was under the impression that adding LR to an exsisting tank is not good

adding live rock from mail order to the tank before curing it is not good. But running to your LFS and buying LR is very good! Or getting it in the mail, curing it, then adding it, also good!

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by bigmac
http:///forum/post/2527631
IME, I'd loose the pre filter or clean it more often. I've never been a big fan of filter socks, pre fliters and as you say "bubble reducers"...I'd remove all the bio balls, there's really no need for em.
Your bio load isn't all that much so 40 pounds of rock should do the trick with lots of flow.
I agree with every word.
A lot of people won't cause the sock seems to be the thing to do, but using your LR as your filtration, you don't need to mechanically trap anything.
Unless you way overfeed of course.

tinmanny

if you baught the rock through mail order some of the life died and it is shurely going to start at least a small cycle
and if you cleaned it then you should expect to see a a cycle

tsdid

I bought the LR from my LFS and it was cured because they have fish in with the rock. Do you think the bioballs and the foams are causeing the increase nitrate? My logic would be that they were doing the job before i had enough LR in and now that I do the bioballs and foams are creating an excess of nitrates. Its not like its a ton either, it just hangs between 5 and 10.

bigmac

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/2527780
I bought the LR from my LFS and it was cured because they have fish in with the rock. Do you think the bioballs and the foams are causeing the increase nitrate?

The thing is you don't know how long the rock was curing at the LFS...If it we're me. I'd loose all the sponges, socks, underwear, bio balls and any other mechanical filtration you have, do smaller water changes as needed until the trates come down.
You know, its been brought up here a few times in the past that bio balls are not all that bad it you have a good ratio of LR and or a DSB. Like I said, I'm not a big fan but some are and they work great for em.
Tizzo, good to see hear from you.

tvan

If the rock was packed in wet newspaper, and not fully submerged. You are curing your live rock again ie nitrate spike.
HTH
Tvan

tsdid

when you buy live rock from your LFS how does it come packed? Do you cure it? anyone else have any thoughts. the time between the LFS and aquarium was 20 min max, do you have to cure it because of that. I can understand that there is going to be a little die off. I think my nitrates went up to 15 or say the week I bought the rock, but I never detected ammonia.