nitrates

sufunk

How long after a 15% water change should you wait before retesting to see if nitrates went down?
by the way, its a 36g tank

O

oreo12

I changed mine everyday for a week when i had the high nitrates.

jester805

I did 50% changes for 2 consecutive Saturdays. I skipped a Saturday and did another 50% the following Saturday.

murph

IMO if the PH, Alk, temp and SG of your change water is the same as that of your tank you could do fairly large water changes on a daily basis until your nitrates come down. Temp and SG are a no brainer but test both tank and change water for PH and Alk. They could be vary different, especially in a tank that is suffering from some sort of water chemistry problem which is basically what we are talking about here.
The bacteria that maintain your bio filtration are not in the water column, they are on and in the rock, sand and filter media so there should be no worries in this regard.
If your change water is not the same as your tanks. start with smaller water changes until both tank and change water are the same and then you can start with a more aggressive water change routine until nitrates come down.
If you are able to bring the nitrates down with water changes but they soon return there are other factors at play. Poor skimming, overfeeding, sediment build up, poor circulation, overstocking and the list can go on. It will be a matter of eliminating each possible source until the culprit is found.
The first thing I would check is the skimmer. Make sure its a quality skimmer to begin with, is up to par for the size system you have and is working at peak efficiency.

jester805

Originally Posted by Murph
If you are able to bring the nitrates down with water changes but they soon return there are other factors at play. Poor skimming, overfeeding, sediment build up, poor circulation, overstocking and the list can go on. It will be a matter of eliminating each possible source until the culprit is found.
Not to sound stupid here, but can you list off a few more factors?? You say "the list can go on," but in my experience with high nitrates, everyone tells me the top 3. That is:[list type=decimal][*]Water changes
[*]Over feeding
Poor skimming
[/list type=decimal] :notsure:
I'm looking for other possible causes of high nitrates. Mine were at 200 ppm a few months ago. I was feeding 3 frozen mysis cubes EACH NIGHT and rarely did water changes. I changed my ways with that and a month ago I did a 50% water change. My trates came down to 80 ppm. The following week I did another 50% change and they came down to 40 ppm. I skipped a week, but did another 50% change the following week. They didn't come down at all that time. I'm looking to get them under 40 ppm and not sure what else to try. :notsure:
Thanks!

O

oreo12

Filter pads bio wheels bio balls these can all produce nitrates

uberlink

Originally Posted by mindy7
What your experiance??? Bio wheels or not??? Pro's and Con's
I don't think the cons are that bad, but there are few pros if you use live rock. Live rock will take care of 99% of your biological filtration needs.

cain420

Originally Posted by oreo12
Filter pads bio wheels bio balls these can all produce nitrates
i thought the tank PRODUCED the nitrates and the pads and balls just collect them...??

reefiness

for youe water changes i would say you should do 5% every day for about 1-2 weeks or until you se your nitrates get unger 10

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by cain420
i thought the tank PRODUCED the nitrates and the pads and balls just collect them...??
nitrates are produced from the breakdown of the waste since the waste sets in the pads and breck down there then they help in the rise of nitrates I use no filter media on ether of my tanks I do run carbon in a power filter and live rock aslo in it as well.

uberlink

The biowheels don't collect them, except unintentionally. They provide a place for beneficial bacteria to grow in large quantities because they are exposed to air. The theory is that as water passes over the biowheel it will help de-ammonia-ize and denitrify the water. Some people contend that they allow detritus to get trapped, but I kinda doubt this happens in significant quantities because of the amount of flow involved.
In any event, if you're using live rock, biowheels add a pretty insigificant amount of beneficial bacteria to the tank.