Nitrates.....

nicetry

Any water change will reduce nitrates. THe question is more of where the nitrates are coming from (overfeeding, tap water, excessive bioload, etc..)
Once a water change is performed, the nitrate level will begin increasing again, unless you remove the cause(s).
For starters, do a 25% w/c. Keeping up with regular w/c's can manage nitrate production, but there are other contributing factors that need to be addressed.

B

bellaroxio

nicetry suggestion is perfect.
However, nitrate level of 10 or less is perfectly acceptable. But you need your aquarium to stabilize at 10 or less!

mrextc

i've got the same problem. this is a brand new tank, 2 weeks into cycle and nitrates spiked up. I did the test twice and my nitrates are 160. no idea how my 3 chromis and hermit crabs are still alive. they all seem to be doing well eating well and having no problems. I feed twice a day 1 mini cube of mysis shrimp. am i overfeeding?
my current test shows levels of...
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.8
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 160
temp 80.
any ideas? should i do a water change immediately to get the nitrates down...i've been reading that i shouldn't do a water change while i'm cycling...HELP!!!

mrextc

by the way...this is a 60 gallon tank with 60 lbs of live sand and 60 lbs of live rock with a wet dry filter and sump. I haven't got a protein skimmer yet...will that help? thanks all!

nicetry

Originally Posted by mrextc
i've got the same problem. this is a brand new tank, 2 weeks into cycle and nitrates spiked up. I did the test twice and my nitrates are 160. no idea how my 3 chromis and hermit crabs are still alive. they all seem to be doing well eating well and having no problems. I feed twice a day 1 mini cube of mysis shrimp. am i overfeeding?
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.8
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 160
temp 80.
any ideas? should i do a water change immediately to get the nitrates down...i've been reading that i shouldn't do a water change while i'm cycling...HELP!!!
Double check your level with another test kit. Your tank is simply not cycled and the trates will drop. There should not be any fish or inverts in a cycling tank. They may survive, but cut the feedings to a very small amount once a day or even every two days. Overfeeding is a prime cause of elevated trates but in your case the tank is not done cycling.

mcbdz

Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.8
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 160
temp 80.
If you are cycling you should show some amm., and nitrites. Start your own thread and show what you have9 tank, size filters, lr, ls, etc) and what you have done so far ( added live stock, ghost fed, added raw shrimp, livestock, any chemicals, ect.) so everyone can get an idea of what is going on and can help.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by kingfish8302
How much of a water change do i need to do for a 46 gallon to get the nirates down from 20ppm????
List age of tank, what you are running( filters, lr, ls ect), livestock, and all you water perimeters.

My problem was i cured live rock and sand in another tank since my tank been a fish only for 3 years. Before i start my problem was 160ppm for nitrate
. Then i did a 80% during my change over to live from CC and to lr. I'll do another 25% tomorrow and let the fish not be stressed again today.
Skimmer and fluval 404 and 4 year old tank

hatessushi

thanks...i started a new post with all the info. I appreciate the help!
*******Be Nice..

Kingfish8302, can you provide more information about your tank like inhabitants (what they are and how big), how much live rock, live sand, feeding regimen, etc.? If you have a high bioload and don't want to lessen it you have to deal with the nitrates either through water changes or some type of Denitrator (there are different sizes on the market) which work very well for me. If you can provide the above information it might help to determine the problem.

1journeyman

Simple math....
Test your "New" water. It should have 0.0 Nitrates. Then do some quick math to figure out how many gallons you will need to do...
Example. a 100 gallon tank has Nitrates of 100. Water change of 50 gallons would drop Nitrates in tank down to 50. (average of 50 gallons at 100 and 50 gallons at 0=50).
Most saltwater tanks accumulate Nitrates. The bacteria that breaks down Nitrates lives in a different environment from the Ammonia and Nitrite fixing bacteria. Nitrates can be broken down in an aquarium; however you need to provide habitat for the proper bacteria (deep sand beds) or macro algae to absorb it. Very porous live rock has some crevices deep enough to promote Nitrate fixing bacteria, but not enough to keep up.
Point is, reading Nitrates does not neccessarily mean you are doing anything wrong and need to find the source. If you can't control it with water changes; That's when you need to seek out source. Many corals hate Nitrates. Some sensitive ones cannot tolerate any.

I know where my problem where coming from...i was useing tap water and over feeding and doing little water change. Just being a lazy person for a year. BUt i have a lot more time to take care of the tank now.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by kingfish8302
I know where my problem where coming from...i was useing tap water and over feeding and doing little water change. Just being a lazy person for a year. BUt i have a lot more time to take care of the tank now.
Yup, all three are known causes

Hey 1journeyman did you check my 46g bowfront reef tank dairy under reef tank topic? I'll change my tank over on everything. i have before and after pics of it.