Nitrite question

janastasio

I tested my freshly mixed saltwater tonight. Its been mixing for about a week. Its testing possitive for nitrites. Any ideas as to why? I drip my RO/DI into a 32 gallon rubbermaid trashcan. I changed my filters on my RO/DI in April. I do not have a TDS meter, so I cant check that. I currently have some fresh water dripping into a clean container right now so I can check it and check it with the salt to see if its the salt. My rubbermaid can does get slimey alot of the time after mixing for several days. Is it possible these reading could be related to an algae problem in the container? Thanks!

btldreef

What kind of salt do you use? Try testing the water before you add the salt in that bucket. Maybe it's something in the bucket...

janastasio

Just finished testing the new water I dripped. Tested it before and after adding salt. Both read zero. So it has to be the slime in the bucket causing it.

btldreef

Originally Posted by janastasio
http:///forum/post/3156261
Just finished testing the new water I dripped. Tested it before and after adding salt. Both read zero. So it has to be the slime in the bucket causing it.
That's what I thought it was going to be. I guess it's time to clean my mixing bucket now before I make water tomorrow